Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
To me, Tynan's approach seems a little bit like saying it's wrong to ride in the road when there's a cycle path alongside.

to you maybe, I have no idea what you're on about with that at all, I certainly don't think that, why would I

If cab's doing his machine gun fire quoting I'm out of this one right now

zimzum42

Legendary Member
fwiw, i reckon we'd be better without most traffic lights

people might actually begin to pay attention, rather than just staring at the light and driving off regardless as soon as it's green. you wouldn't get people running ambers either.....

Cab

Tynan said:
perhaps because the man carrying his car safely across junctions encourages others to push theirs and perhaps even drive it eeeever so slowly as long as they don't hurt anyone

they wouldn't have junctions and lights if everyone could be trusted to deal with the junction safely and with consideration

said it right at the beginning, someone dismounting safely, pushing it considerately and then remounting and carrying on is fine, but the vast majority of people I see doing this at lights don't, they don't dismount, or they don't push it carefully, most plain and simple ride up onto the pavement and rejoin the road on the other side

it's safe enough and not against the law so fine, what could be wrong with that?

I agree with most of that; those people who mount a pavement to avoida junction deserve scorn. But I don't believe that the preposterous man carrying a car example would lead to others thinking its okay to push over the junction, nod do I believe that responsible behaviour encourages irresponsible behaviour in cyclists.

Tynan

Veteran
'nod do I believe that responsible behaviour encourages irresponsible behaviour in cyclists.'

don't think anyone has suggested that have they?

Cab

Tynan said:
If cab's doing his machine gun fire quoting I'm out of this one right now

*sigh*

Quoting what you're replying to such that you avoid confusion in a discussion like this is basic good manners. Cutting quotes down to only reply to the parts you're discussing without at any time doing so to change the context or meaning is good old fashioned good netiquette. Get over it.

Cab

Tynan said:
don't think anyone has suggested that have they?

You said that the odd example of a man carrying his car might encourage other motorists to break the law; forgive me if I'm wrong, but in the context of this discussion if you don't mean that you think getting off to push your bike sensibly and responsibly may encourage others to be less good about it, what do you mean?

Tynan

Veteran
why should I, try to see it from other people's points of view cab, you're a very difficult poster to debate with for a number of reasons, as silly as this sounds, I genuinly have had PMs from others on here that have tried and given up in despair, me included I'm afraid

honest feedback

Cab

Tynan said:
why should I, try to see it from other people's points of view cab, you're a very difficult poster to debate with for a number of reasons, as silly as this sounds, I genuinly have had PMs from others on here that have tried and given up in despair, me included I'm afraid

honest feedback

Great, turn this into a bunfight when I'm actually agreeing with most of what you're saying. Get bent.

Tynan

Veteran
not a bunfight

genuine honest feedback as I said

and Bent Mikey isn't going to let you get away with that sort of attitude either

jashburnham

Dannyg said:
I am usually "running late" because I have to get my son up and off to school before I go off to work - kids unfortunately don't always see timekeeping as a high priority.

Yeah there's always an excuse. My boss and his wife both work and have 2 small kids, yet he's rarely late, in fact I cannot remember him being late, tardiness is something of an anathema to him...

As for the yoghurt knitting thing Zim, I live and work in central London and still manage to be places on time. I once lost a big bit of business thanks to being late so now I'm always on time, it really ain't that hard. Oh and I achieve all this without resorting to RLJ'ing or walking across junctions, funny that.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
to you maybe, I have no idea what you're on about with that at all, I certainly don't think that, why would I

I just see some direct parallels with the two examples, whilst you think one is fine, and one isn't.

Cycling on the road when there's a cycle path alongside.
Red light walking.

Both are legal actions by cyclists, both are for convenience, both are not dangerous to others, and both might conceivably wind up the occasional motorist. I don't see the difference, myself, and I don't understand what sort of good example you might be setting by waiting for the green light or riding on the cycle path.

That said, I applaud your good intentions, I do understand where you're coming from. I just think that this particular example is taking things a step too far.

Cab

Tynan said:
not a bunfight

genuine honest feedback as I said

and Bent Mikey isn't going to let you get away with that sort of attitude either

You immediately turned to personal comments rather than stick to point, and you did so as retaliation for being brought up for misquoting to change meaning in the past. And you did so when I was largely agreeing with you. Attitude? Towards you? At an all time low now, to be honest.

Tynan

Veteran
no cab, I explained why I wasn't willing to engage in a debate with you and explained why when you made a sarcastic remark, what personal comment have I made?

And for the millionth time I didn't misquote you, I got tired of saying so last time, you think saying something the most times makes your version true

I'm so not getting into anymore endless arguments with you

still not following you BM, where have I ever so much as mentioned setting good examples?

offs, cabs a moderator/admin? go on guess how I just found that out

Tynan

Veteran
BM, you're rather straining things there aren't you?

cycling in the road is for convenience? wha?

and red light walking is safe? (I've already posted twice now that I think it is if down properly but invariably it's not done properly as OP suggested he does)

Top Bottom