Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
And some of us have a word for that approach to sticking to the rules. 'anal'

and jash, ome of us do 'run late', cos we're not sitting yoghurt knitting in a yurt in cornwall.....

Tynan

Veteran
fine, whatever

all for rlj then if it's safe yeah?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think there is nothing worng with it, so long as you push the bike and aren't getting in the way of pedestrians. Those that hop on to pavements and then ride through the junction, and hop back on, want sorting out.

There aren't any junctions on my commute that this walking through would be worthwhile for me - most are fairly short stops, and I can think of two that if I did that, I'd be out of primary and find it difficult to carry on in the traffic.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
didn't say you did, but other most certainly do

hence starting off with 'thin edge of the wedge'

mikey, lots of things are legal, some of them aren't a very good idea if you want to stop motorist think (even more) that cyclists are some sort of sub class of road user than can chop and change to suit

this approach to lights seems much the same as hopping onto the pavement to suit

Having posed this original question, I think I now find myself agreeing with Tynan.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Tynan - I keep meaning to ask whether you're wearing a cycling top or a West Ham shirt in your avitar.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
didn't say you did, but other most certainly do

hence starting off with 'thin edge of the wedge'

mikey, lots of things are legal, some of them aren't a very good idea if you want to stop motorist think (even more) that cyclists are some sort of sub class of road user than can chop and change to suit

this approach to lights seems much the same as hopping onto the pavement to suit

I take your point on those who do red light walk illegally, but that's not in the OP and not the situation we're discussing.

Motorists are free to chop and change between driving and pedestrian modes, and so are we. It's just a little easier on a bike, and one of the benefits. I love being able to stop, get on the pavement, and push my bike past a set of road works that close off a road, for example. Using a pedestrian crossing isn't any different.

I think the "bicycle = sub-class" impression is no more likely than motorists seeing the benefit of using a bike in this sort of situation. It's like the filtering example above, the more obvious moral is that if you want more freedom then ride a bike.

Tynan

Veteran
West Ham top at Cardiff for one of our heady three trips in three years to Cardiff, I think that's pre a very boozy Palace playoff final

it's a very well worn retro 20s top, get admiring comments in the pubs all the time, bought it a very long time ago indeed

damn right I'm right, betcha there's drivers out there calling other drivers anal for signalling left hand turns and bothering to check their mirrors before moving off

i would have thought that most motorists and pedestrians would actually appreciate the fact that the cyclist has a) not ridden through the red light and :smile: not ridden on the pavement.

from this thread it appears that it's only the militant and, succintly put, anal cyclists themselves who have the problem with it. ironic, isn't it?

Tynan

Veteran
BentMikey said:
I take your point on those who do red light walk illegally, but that's not in the OP and not the situation we're discussing.

Motorists are free to chop and change between driving and pedestrian modes, and so are we. It's just a little easier on a bike, and one of the benefits. I love being able to stop, get on the pavement, and push my bike past a set of road works that close off a road, for example. Using a pedestrian crossing isn't any different.

I think the "bicycle = sub-class" impression is no more likely than motorists seeing the benefit of using a bike in this sort of situation. It's like the filtering example above, the more obvious moral is that if you want more freedom then ride a bike.

my point on red light walking is perfectly well qualified and explained, of course it's legal but an awfully lot of people will do it illegally and anti socially to some degree

a motorist cannot chop and change at all, the second they leave the car they're a pedestrian, ditto someone pushing a bike, still a cyclist, a bike has to be pushed very conservatively on a pavement to not be a nuisance to peds

and my arguments aren't made regarding what cyclists think, they're made regarding what motorists might think, the same ones that routinely tell cyclists they don't belong on the road and dispute cyclists' right to take road position

people are saying those drivers will watch a cyclist hop off his bike, run it around lights and then carry on, and think, cool, good on him? yeah right

never mind the majority that just mount the pavement and ride on the pavement to get round the lights, or ride across the ped crossing

it's rlj in spirit as far as I'm concerned, never mind motorists, all the more ammo for them

Tynan

Veteran
trustysteed said:
i would have thought that most motorists and pedestrians would actually appreciate the fact that the cyclist has a) not ridden through the red light and :smile: not ridden on the pavement.

from this thread it appears that it's only the militant and, succintly put, anal cyclists themselves who have the problem with it. ironic, isn't it?

with all due respect and imho, that's bollocks

gbb

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:

from this thread it appears that it's only the militant and, succintly put, anal cyclists themselves who have the problem with it. ironic, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

By the same token, you could argue that a driver would appreciate the cyclist is now out of his way (from a drivers perspective). One less thing to think about.

Dunno who qualifies as an anal cyclist, but i think thats right. The average guy couldnt care less

Tynan

Veteran
all drivers ever go on about is cyclists rljing and all peds ever go on about is pavement riding, but neither could care less about this?

blimey, the things you learn

Top Bottom