Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
there's no law that says because you started your journey on a bike, you're not allowed to incorporate other forms of travel, e.g. walking, into that journey at any given point when necessary.

PrettyboyTim

John the Monkey said:
Certainly legal, strike me as a bit rude though. (Not waiting ones turn, and all that, what.)

Surely the same thing would apply to filtering past stationary traffic?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Personally, having seen and experienced my fair share of twats on the road on all forms of transport and none, I'd always err on the side of not adding to the stock of self-righteous indignation and just-about-to-boil over rage that is out there. And setting a good example and remembering you are part of a society is never a bad thing, even if it means swallowing your own pride and not insisting on just being 'right' in what would otherwise be a very minor and unimportant matter.

You can tell you're not a Londoner.......;)

Flying_Monkey said:
Personally, having seen and experienced my fair share of twats on the road on all forms of transport and none, I'd always err on the side of not adding to the stock of self-righteous indignation and just-about-to-boil over rage that is out there. And setting a good example and remembering you are part of a society is never a bad thing, even if it means swallowing your own pride and not insisting on just being 'right' in what would otherwise be a very minor and unimportant matter.

Let me sum up FM. Turn a blind eye.

I must admit I think this is one of the major problems with our society at the moment. I think too many people turn a blind eye. It all starts with the minor indiscretions, and eventually people are turning their backs on assaults etc (not suggesting anyone here would of course). We all depend on the police, government, anyone else, to do the dirty work and we complain when they don't. That's why I say things to people when I think they have done wrong. Sure I'm not perfect and I wouldn't mind if people commented on where I was doing wrong (online they often do!). Of course this needs to start with parents controlling their children. It amazes me how many young kids I see wandering the streets.

Anyway back on topic.... Your biggest crime here is that you will probably look a bit daft! :tongue:

Tynan

Veteran
thin end of the wedge, if you dismount safely and politely push your bike onto the pavement and across the crossing and then remount safely on the other side then perhaps fine although it's still clearly avoiding the lights and enforcing the idea that bikes aren't really part of the traffic, just some sort of inbetweeny thingy that doesn't obey the same rules of the roads and so doesn't deserve respect, never mind the endless suspicion about rlj

but on top of that I bet there's always some corners cut, cycling up onto the pavement using the ped dropped kerb, staying in the saddle, getting in the peds' way etc

or what I see all the time, people plain riding up onto the pavement and across the ped crossing and then swerve back onto the original route, that's just fancy rlj

if you want to been seen at law abiding road traffic that deserves proper respect as law abiding road traffic then behave like proper road traffic, simple as that

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
PrettyboyTim said:
Surely the same thing would apply to filtering past stationary traffic?

A fair point - I can't say that my feeling has any basis in logic, Tim :biggrin:

FWIW, I never filter right to the front of a queue either :tongue:

Cab

I rarely find that it is quicker to get off and push over a junction, but I see nothing wrong with doing so. To a great extent I think whether you should depends on where you're re-joining; I think that getting off and pushing the bike around a corner, re-mounting where you'd have gone had you gone straight through the red light and turned left (for example) might be a little off if in so doing you delay other road users. Otherwise, whats wrong with it?

Keith Oates

Janner
I have sometimes read that cyclists, in some dangerous areas such as multi entry roundabouts, get off and walk because they consider it safer than trying to ride with the traffic. That to me makes sense so why should walking across a crossing pushing a bike be any different.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jashburnham

Stay on your bike and either get up earlier or cycle faster!:biggrin:
Why is it that some people are always "running late"? My sister and best mate are both like this and it drives me mad, what is so hard about planning and being on time ffs!:tongue:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
thin end of the wedge, if you dismount safely and politely push your bike onto the pavement and across the crossing and then remount safely on the other side then perhaps fine although it's still clearly avoiding the lights and enforcing the idea that bikes aren't really part of the traffic, just some sort of inbetweeny thingy that doesn't obey the same rules of the roads and so doesn't deserve respect, never mind the endless suspicion about rlj

but on top of that I bet there's always some corners cut, cycling up onto the pavement using the ped dropped kerb, staying in the saddle, getting in the peds' way etc

or what I see all the time, people plain riding up onto the pavement and across the ped crossing and then swerve back onto the original route, that's just fancy rlj

if you want to been seen at law abiding road traffic that deserves proper respect as law abiding road traffic then behave like proper road traffic, simple as that

In my case I am not "cutting corners". I dismount, walk quickly across the junction (with the green pedestrian lights), and then remount. I certainly never cycle on the pavement or engage in any "fancy rlj".

So I think it comes down to whether drivers and pedestrians are going to end up seeing it as another example of cyclists being a law unto themselves even if it is strictly within the law; or are not really that bothered.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
jashburnham said:
Stay on your bike and either get up earlier or cycle faster!:biggrin:
Why is it that some people are always "running late"? My sister and best mate are both like this and it drives me mad, what is so hard about planning and being on time ffs!:tongue:

I am usually "running late" because I have to get my son up and off to school before I go off to work - kids unfortunately don't always see timekeeping as a high priority.

Tynan

Veteran
didn't say you did, but other most certainly do

hence starting off with 'thin edge of the wedge'

mikey, lots of things are legal, some of them aren't a very good idea if you want to stop motorist think (even more) that cyclists are some sort of sub class of road user than can chop and change to suit

this approach to lights seems much the same as hopping onto the pavement to suit

Top Bottom