Is red light walking OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Sometimes if I get to a major junction and the lights have just changed, I jump of and walk my bike across the junction, and then jump back on a ride off.

I've always assumed this is a legitimate thing to do, particularly as the pedestrian lights are usually at green at this point. However I recently got into an debate with a fellow cyclist who suggested I was probably p*ssing off car drivers and pedestrians by doing this.

Still can't see the problem myself - what does anyone else think?

Why not just be patient and set a good example?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's perfectly legal.

As for setting an example, well, I don't think anyone really gives a damn.....

Freewheeler

It's perfectly legal, so long as you are walking with the bike (not scooting along on one pedal). As for leaving earlier, I sometimes push my bike across junctions because I leave work on the hour, my train leaves at ten past and the journey to the station takes about 8 minutes. I wouldn't worry about annoying drivers either, it's not your fault if they don't know the law.

gbb

Legendary Member
Dannyg said:
Sometimes if I get to a major junction and the lights have just changed, I jump of and walk my bike across the junction, and then jump back on a ride off.

I've always assumed this is a legitimate thing to do, particularly as the pedestrian lights are usually at green at this point. However I recently got into an debate with a fellow cyclist who suggested I was probably p*ssing off car drivers and pedestrians by doing this.

Still can't see the problem myself - what does anyone else think?

Whilst accepting i may be wrong..i just dont buy this arguement.

As a driver, i dont get agitated by this kind of thing.
I have NEVER, in 30 plus years of driving, heard anyone get agitated with a cyclist doing this.
I have NEVER heard anyone in countless canteen conversations about driving, roads etc etc, complain about cyclists doing this.
I have never read anything in the local papers about this kind of behaviour.

Christ knows, the public complain in their droves in the letters page EVERY YEAR about cyclists with no lights, and quite rightly. If it really bothered them, they'd complain about this as well.

If it's true drivers do get agitated, it must be a very well kept secret.

By the same token, its good to set the right example. I do try, but sometimes circumstances dictate i 'may' stretch the rules somewhat.
I consider myself a realist...not a saint.

John the Monkey said:
Certainly legal, strike me as a bit rude though. (Not waiting ones turn, and all that, what.)

:biggrin: That's a very English thing to say that John.

If you want to see the English queueing system break down get an Easyjet or Ryanair flight. Mind you even then there's still a modicum of politness in the stampede. All queueing bets off in Germany though ;)

biking_fox

Guru
There was - sometime ago? - some strange bit of traffic law, that made you pushing a cycle still be regarded as a vehicle and hence technically it was a contravension to use ped only facilities like ped crossings and footpaths.

However I don't believe this is currently the case in the highway code, so seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Personally, having seen and experienced my fair share of twats on the road on all forms of transport and none, I'd always err on the side of not adding to the stock of self-righteous indignation and just-about-to-boil over rage that is out there. And setting a good example and remembering you are part of a society is never a bad thing, even if it means swallowing your own pride and not insisting on just being 'right' in what would otherwise be a very minor and unimportant matter.

gbb

Legendary Member
biking_fox said:
There was - sometime ago? - some strange bit of traffic law, that made you pushing a cycle still be regarded as a vehicle and hence technically it was a contravension to use ped only facilities like ped crossings and footpaths.

However I don't believe this is currently the case in the highway code, so seems perfectly reasonable to me.

You could soon bugger that one up, even if it were still law....just hoik the bike up on your shoulder. ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom