Is road cycling more dangerous than mountain bikeing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Andrew 14

I would take an overview and ask what is the point of the thread in general, isn't it a fun one?

Apologies if people were expecting serious answers ... I'll leave you to it.

No real point just a topic for debate say what you like no one is getting upset

Radchenister

Veteran
OK a serious answer then.

The statistics show that generally traffic accidents are rising but in the scheme of things road riding is not hugely risky; I am unable to find any stat's for MTBing to compare against, so it's impossible to give you an accurate answer ... but generally, there's no surprise in learning that you're best off in a car but don't even think about touching a motorbike and if you're pushing your bike, best get back on it, as there's slightly better odds when you're a cyclist than a pedestrian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/road-deaths-great-britain-data
... but of course, you know what they say about statistics ;) ?

OP
OP
A

Andrew 14

OK a serious answer then.

The statistics show that generally traffic accidents are rising but in the scheme of things road riding is not hugely risky; I am unable to find any stat's for MTBing to compare against, so it's impossible to give you an accurate answer ... but generally, there's no surprise in learning that you're best off in a car but don't even think about touching a motorbike and if you're pushing your bike, best get back on it, as there's slightly better odds when you're a cyclist than a pedestrian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/road-deaths-great-britain-data
... but of course, you know what they say about statistics ;) ?
Very intersting data one thing I spotted was falling to look was the biggest factor in all road deaths . so as we are a lot easier to miss when looking i thinking its at junctions ect we are at the most danger

lulubel

Über Member
Let's remind ourselves of what you can do if you're a 'skilled and in control' MTBer:

He may be skilled, but he obviously wasn't in control, or he wouldn't have crashed into a tree. If he'd been riding less aggressively, he would have had more control, and probably wouldn't have crashed. You can argue that he wouldn't have been having as much fun, but that isn't the point.

My point was that you control the level of risk when you're riding off-road. You can either push yourself and your bike to the limit and risk major crashes, or you can ride more cautiously and stay safe. It's your choice.

When you're on the road, it doesn't matter how carefully you're riding, you can still be killed by a driver behind you (for example) who just drives into you. That's totally out of your control.

Radchenister

Veteran
... and my point was tongue in cheek ;) .

It is a fair point you make and I've spent many years on a MTB, not had too many mishaps personally but have witnessed a few ... inexperience, complacency, bravado or the 'I'm invincible' factor usually played a part in the ones I saw - a settled long timer is a far safer bet but it's still a risky business.

On the road you are at risk from others yes ... but statistically, it's still safer than walking ... as someone already said, best stay at home.

Top Bottom