Is Royal Mail being disrespectful

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
the kings crown is a different shape to the queens.... they will have to change that too

Gwylan

Veteran
Getting back to the topic, different organisations have different requirements as to when insignia or titles need to be updated.
For example, all QCs became KCs as soon as Charles took over, so all the business cards and letterhead had to be binned.

Post boxes stay pretty much forever and only get a royal insignia when replaced. Hence you see Edwardian and Georgian post boxes. The vans will probably get done when they are due for a respray (if Royal Mail is still going - it's not just the workers, they have a hefty payout to give to all the postmasters that they shafted thanks to their IT system).

Look closely at the green post boxes in the Irish Republic.
No obvious rush to change those.

classic33

Leg End Member
I dunno about virtual reality post boxes. I'd much rather have a real one again.

The one at the top of the road keeps getting nicked - the last one barely lasted a handful of months, and that's after it took them two years to replace it. (Got nicked during first lockdown)

It's been five months and counting...
They fetch at least £1,000 on eBay in good condition.

classic33

Leg End Member
The new style appears to have the monarchs initials on a separate plate, so it probably would not be too onerous to update it anyone had the will to do so.

View attachment 683522

Also it seems you can by repro ones for the home...

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/895...H-AqcTJKWRuKTt-fbJKJ0jHZ7k623x5caAplmEALw_wcB
Two bolts on the back of the plate holding it in place. Open it up undo the nuts holding it place and switch/change for a new plate.

Its almost as though they're not expecting Charles III plates on post boxes to be around for long.

tyred

Legendary Member
In An Post green?

Yes. Although it's no longer in service. It's one of the small ones built into a wall. I also know of an Edward VII one.

tyred

Legendary Member
They're getting prepared for King George already!

IMG_20230331_140451.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
Here's the Victorian one I walk past most mornings, no longer in use. I'm surprised it hasn't been stolen tbh as they are pretty valuable.

It just behind the cathedral, which I believe was built 1899-1900. I would assume this was installed at the same time so is near the end of her reign.

IMG_20230413_074952.jpg

Top Bottom