Is spelling important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Shirley it's shot

Due Bares shoot an the woulds?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This appeared on the local FB group... I've read it several times and i'm still baffled

shudder.fw.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Last one failed/didn't work. Another required.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I can't believe no-one's done this yet.

' precision and concise use of standard English is important'.
There are two concepts in the subject of this clause - precision and concise use of standard English. So "are" is correct, as well as being stylistically more elegant. Sometimes it's better if the verb is attracted into the singular by the last of list; not this time.

Starting a sentence with a number is poor style, so 'Thirty years ago'.

Twenty nine million, three hundred and seventy one thousand, six hundred and thirty three people in the UK would disagree with you.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This appeared on the local FB group... I've read it several times and i'm still baffled

View attachment 457849
Like most of facebook it was probably not written by the young people who this thread seems to be designed to complain about. I can't say I've noticed much correlation between age and inarticulacy in writing - you get it as often from the middle-aged and old as from the young. However, I am concerned by those poor sods going through school at the moment. They're being taught English in a way which has previously only ever existed in the fantasies of previous Secretaries of State for Education.

Top Bottom