Is spelling important?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by colly, 11 Mar 2019.

1. colly

colly Re member eR

You bet it is !

This is what my daughter-in-law was presented with today.

certificate.JPG

Cavalol, Edwardoka, dan_bo and 3 others like this.
  2. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

That is inexquesable.

Edwardoka, matiz, Profpointy and 3 others like this.
  3. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

It is if it's a public document, most certainly

[edit: it's if is a pubic dockemunt, moist sertinley]

4. ChrisV

ChrisV Formerly CC2014

Why was she given this?

5. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Of course it is. Far too much text speak and Americanisms have crept into normal daily language.

classic33 and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  6. Slick

Slick Veteran

I had to read it twice. :rolleyes:

ClaireSaud, Jody, Pat "5mph" and 3 others like this.
  7. Slioch

Slioch Male, white, age 57

If it is a personal communication from someone I know (e-mail, letter etc) then I will overlook it.

If it is a "professional" communication from a business or in the media, then it is inexcusable. Presumably the mippets writing the document are too stoopud to turn the spill-chucker on.

WARNING - MIDDLE AGED RANT ALERT
    I tend to find the younger generation are bordering on being illiterate, even the ones with qualifications. Makes you wonder what standards are being set in our educational establishments.

8. mistyoptic

mistyoptic Regular

Poor English to use "sentence(d)" twice in close proximity too :rolleyes:

Dayvo, C R, LeetleGreyCells and 2 others like this.
  9. PaulB

PaulB Guru

I'm completely with you on this.

I have colleagues - some younger than my eldest son - actually jockeying for senior positions in the company who think bad spelling and poor grammar is acceptable provided 'we know that they mean'! They are functionally illiterate and make me despair when this has become so rife, it's become accepted now.

10. Slioch

Slioch Male, white, age 57

You're sounding like Sylvester Stallone in one of the Rocky films there, @Fnaar :laugh:

Dayvo and Fnaar like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    colly

colly Re member eR

A house in Leeds had fuel of some kind poured through the letterbox which was then set light to. The woman who lived there and her three children huddled in the attic while the fire raged under them all through the house. Fortunately the fire brigade got there and rescued them 'in the nick of time'. In fact one of the fire fighters who got them out said another minute and they would all have died.
    My daughter in law and her colleagues managed to find the guy who did it despite the fact he lived in Sheffield some 40 miles away and only had a very tentative link to the family. They spent days, weeks, interviewing residents and contacts, cross checking information and cctv until this guys name cropped up. He had an alibi but by doing an amazingly detailed investigation they proved it was false.

It was as close to being a murder charge as it gets.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2019
  12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

When I was an ADI we used to give students test papers on the Highway code to which they supplied written answers. What always struck me was the appalling standard of spelling and grammar from quite a lot of the younger ones, many of whom were preparing to go to university. In contrast, older people generally had a high standard of written English, and many of those were in unqualified occupations with no pretentions of any academic prowess.

C R, PaulB, raleighnut and 1 other person like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    colly

colly Re member eR

'Term' would have been better.

14. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

It's an extended sentence.

15. Mr Celine

Mr Celine Discordian

Celinette #2 was presented with a merit certificate from Galashiels Adacamy.

Stephenite, Slioch and snorri like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice