Is spelling important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
You bet it is !

This is what my daughter-in-law was presented with today.

certificate.JPG

screenman

Legendary Member
That is inexquesable.

Slioch

Guru
If it is a personal communication from someone I know (e-mail, letter etc) then I will overlook it.

If it is a "professional" communication from a business or in the media, then it is inexcusable. Presumably the mippets writing the document are too stoopud to turn the spill-chucker on.

WARNING - MIDDLE AGED RANT ALERT
I tend to find the younger generation are bordering on being illiterate, even the ones with qualifications. Makes you wonder what standards are being set in our educational establishments.

PaulB

Legendary Member
WARNING - MIDDLE AGED RANT ALERT
I tend to find the younger generation are bordering on being illiterate, even the ones with qualifications. Makes you wonder what standards are being set in our educational establishments.

I'm completely with you on this.

I have colleagues - some younger than my eldest son - actually jockeying for senior positions in the company who think bad spelling and poor grammar is acceptable provided 'we know that they mean'! They are functionally illiterate and make me despair when this has become so rife, it's become accepted now.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Why was she given this?

A house in Leeds had fuel of some kind poured through the letterbox which was then set light to. The woman who lived there and her three children huddled in the attic while the fire raged under them all through the house. Fortunately the fire brigade got there and rescued them 'in the nick of time'. In fact one of the fire fighters who got them out said another minute and they would all have died.
My daughter in law and her colleagues managed to find the guy who did it despite the fact he lived in Sheffield some 40 miles away and only had a very tentative link to the family. They spent days, weeks, interviewing residents and contacts, cross checking information and cctv until this guys name cropped up. He had an alibi but by doing an amazingly detailed investigation they proved it was false.

It was as close to being a murder charge as it gets.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm completely with you on this.

I have colleagues - some younger than my eldest son - actually jockeying for senior positions in the company who think bad spelling and poor grammar is acceptable provided 'we know that they mean'! They are functionally illiterate and make me despair when this has become so rife, it's become accepted now.
When I was an ADI we used to give students test papers on the Highway code to which they supplied written answers. What always struck me was the appalling standard of spelling and grammar from quite a lot of the younger ones, many of whom were preparing to go to university. In contrast, older people generally had a high standard of written English, and many of those were in unqualified occupations with no pretentions of any academic prowess.

Top Bottom