Is spelling important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
A house in Leeds had fuel of some kind poured through the letterbox which was then set light to. The woman who lived there and her three children huddled in the attic while the fire raged under them all through the house. Fortunately the fire brigade got there and rescued them 'in the nick of time'. In fact one of the fire fighters who got them out said another minute and they would all have died.
My daughter in law and her colleague managed to find the guy who did it despite the fact he lived in Sheffield some 40 miles away and only had a very tentative link to the family. They spent days, weeks, interviewing residents and contacts, cross checking information and cctv until this guys name cropped up. He had an alibi but by doing an amazingly detailed investigation they proved it was false.

It was as close to being a murder charge as it gets.
Well done her. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I'm kind of forgiving with regards to spelling, especially on forums and the like. I'm not exactly Mr Dictionary myself.
My daughter is dyslexic and so are Mrs Colly's sisters, so at times there can be a reason for poor spelling. Not on an official document though, and certainly not on anything like an award certificate.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A house in Leeds had fuel of some kind poured through the letterbox which was then set light to. The woman who lived there and her three children huddled in the attic while the fire raged under them all through the house. Fortunately the fire brigade got there and rescued them 'in the nick of time'. In fact one of the fire fighters who got them out said another minute and they would all have died.
My daughter in law and her colleague managed to find the guy who did it despite the fact he lived in Sheffield some 40 miles away and only had a very tentative link to the family. They spent days, weeks, interviewing residents and contacts, cross checking information and cctv until this guys name cropped up. He had an alibi but by doing an amazingly detailed investigation they proved it was false.

It was as close to being a murder charge as it gets.
She should consider a career in the police

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They had plenty of time to check the spelling - the case concluded last August.

Not sure why it took so long to produce the document.

The judge, as in this case, makes his commendation remarks as he passes sentence, occasionally awarding a brave member of the public a few quid, although not so much recently due to budget cuts.

Seems the guy managed to get acquitted of attempted murder, but was convicted of arson with intent to endanger life.

Attempted murder is notoriously difficult to prove, you have to convince a jury the defendant intended to kill the victims.

Not easy if he says he on;y wanted to frighten them, or didn't realise they were in the house.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...nist-torched-home-in-revenge-attack-1-9295381

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I think we need look no further than the internet to see the current level of literacy. Its incredible seeing the number of people who can't tell when to use 'there', 'their' and 'they're' - 'allowed' and 'aloud' - 'to' and 'too', etc. The use of an apostrophe is unknown to them, in fact I doubt if they even know what one is. I learned that stuff in junior school - along with my 'times tables'.

But they are experts in the use and every last feature of mobile phones. Most would be lost without them.

And I'm not just talking about young people either.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm much more interested in what's being said rather than spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Indeed, but sometimes those are necessary to understand what's being said.
It's nice to see a correctly placed semi colon but I'm not going to lose sleep over it
Controversial things, semi-colons; there are some people who would say they should never be placed anywhere.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think we need look no further than the internet to see the current level of literacy. Its incredible seeing the number of people who can't tell when to use 'there', 'their' and 'they're' - 'allowed' and 'aloud' - 'to' and 'too', etc. The use of an apostrophe is unknown to them, in fact I doubt if they even know what one is. I learned that stuff in junior school - along with my 'times tables'.

But they are experts in the use and every last feature of mobile phones. Most would be lost without them.

And I'm not just talking about young people either.

You must have been at a better school and had better parents than mine, I could not read well until I was getting on for 11. My kids on the other hand were at a higher level before they started school than I was at after 6 years at it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OG2hHwW.jpg

Top Bottom