Is spelling important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Indeed, but rarely is someone's spelling etc so poor as to result in misinterpretation
I'm thinking more about those who bang on about split infinitives, countable nouns, past perfect/past imperfect tenses. Stuff that if you get it "wrong" still doesn't result in misinterpretation. Who cares?

I liked that, i have no idea what you are on about, but it sounds about right to me

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
They had plenty of time to check the spelling - the case concluded last August.

Not sure why it took so long to produce the document.

The judge, as in this case, makes his commendation remarks as he passes sentence, occasionally awarding a brave member of the public a few quid, although not so much recently due to budget cuts.

Seems the guy managed to get acquitted of attempted murder, but was convicted of arson with intent to endanger life.

Attempted murder is notoriously difficult to prove, you have to convince a jury the defendant intended to kill the victims.

Not easy if he says he on;y wanted to frighten them, or didn't realise they were in the house.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...nist-torched-home-in-revenge-attack-1-9295381

Speaking of spelling mistakes:

upload_2019-3-11_22-22-37.png

Anyone would think it was The Gruniad.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm not that good at spelling but it doesn't take much effort, at a keyboard, to look a word up or install a spelling checker. Even if you don't do that, you'll probably be perfectly OK at communicating with other people. I learned spelling by rote, like my multiplication tables, at an early age when most young people's brains can absorb vast quantities of information very easily. It wasn't any great hardship. No, spelling doesn't matter. It's a skill worth having though.

Last edited:

lazyfatgit

I can't believe the standard of spelling in novels these days. I have a kindle and will often take a punt on a new author or one of the discounted books in a series to see if i like them before buying a full price one.

Not sure if the paper versions are as bad but the spelling and punctuation in some of the ebooks I've read recently is pretty poor. I assume that ebooks go through some sort of editing process. Should that not pick up mistakes?

I can't believe the standard of spelling in novels these days. I have a kindle and will often take a punt on a new author or one of the discounted books in a series to see if i like them before buying a full price one.

Not sure if the paper versions are as bad but the spelling and punctuation in some of the ebooks I've read recently is pretty poor. I assume that ebooks go through some sort of editing process. Should that not pick up mistakes?
Nah, there's no formal editing process for self-published books on amazon - they won't do more than cursory automated checks to confirm that the material isn't illegal or in breach of copyright.
You could upload something and it would be available to buy and download on the kindle store within a few minutes.
I'm think it's the same with their self-published paperback option, which is a print-on-demand service.
I can't see how either could resolve any egregious speling mistaiks, but it's been several years since the only self-published author I know uploaded anything there. Maybe it does spellchecking and flags issues on upload.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Speaking of spelling mistakes:

View attachment 457116

Anyone would think it was The Gruniad.

Very easy to read though. I can't (I'm sure this post will be self explanatory) spell, but i can read perfectly well. I dont understand all the punctuation meanings.
My wife got me into books a few yrs ago, great help but i still couldn't tell you what any of these things mean : ' _ - [ ; < ¥ ~ ¬ ¦ or what they are called? Or at best i might make an educated guess, now that's another story...

For those who know all things English language, good for you, I'm quite envious, but for most of the population it's not that big a deal if you write in pidgeon English.

I was working at a jobs fair last Thursday, i was asked several times if you needed to be able to read or write in English to work here?
It's quite a problem recruiting low pay workers who would be excellent care employees but can't do the paper work.

Maybe we need to work on a systen that allows vocal inputs so people can get on. We have the technology after all.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Maybe we need to work on a systen that allows vocal inputs so people can get on. We have the technology after all.

There is one already. It is called Dragon Naturally Speaking and has been used in schools for years.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Not that I give shīt, but your post is a couple of commas short of an A grade:whistle:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
We have great niece who is dyslexic in the extreme. Recent texts from her while her mum was in hospital were all but indecipherable. Really, it was a job working out what was said, what with her spelling and auto correct, it became almost comical.
Mrs Colly pointed out the little microphone symbol at the bottom of the screen. Voice to text.
What a difference! Clear concise, coherent. We knew what was going on with her mum at last.

Top Bottom