Is spelling important?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
Being an old fogy, I pick up spelling mistakes (despite not being a great speller myself); punctuation and grammatical errors.

I often communicate with colleagues whose first language is not English, that makes me check and re-check emails to make sure that the language is clear and simple.

Our daughter is a linguist and repeatedly tells me that a language is is a living thing and naturally changes over time. I’m still annoyed.

PS Holding my breath for the first post pointing out a mistake!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Being an old fogy, I pick up spelling mistakes (despite not being a great speller myself); punctuation and grammatical errors.

I often communicate with colleagues whose first language is not English, that makes me check and re-check emails to make sure that the language is clear and simple.

Our daughter is a linguist and repeatedly tells me that a language is is a living thing and naturally changes over time. I’m still annoyed.

PS Holding my breath for the first post pointing out a mistake!
Appalling misuse of the semi-colon...:whistle:

Levo-Lon

Guru
We have great niece who is dyslexic in the extreme. Recent texts from her while her mum was in hospital were all but indecipherable. Really, it was a job working out what was said, what with her spelling and auto correct, it became almost comical.
Mrs Colly pointed out the little microphone symbol at the bottom of the screen. Voice to text.
What a difference! Clear concise, coherent. We knew what was going on with her mum at last.

Bless her, it's horrible
My dyslexia is mild, but the schools didn't recognise it in my day.. Many problems resulted from this, I'm lucky to have a very good English language educated wife, she laughs a lot when I ask her how does this word start.. She has a better understanding of what I have to deal with as a result, still cracks her up tho

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I thick you're right.
Aye thick sew two.

Bless her, it's horrible
My dyslexia is mild, but the schools didn't recognise it in my day.. Many problems resulted from this, I'm lucky to have a very good English language educated wife, she laughs a lot when I ask her how does this word start.. She has a better understanding of what I have to deal with as a result, still cracks her up tho
One of the smartest people I know has quite bad dyslexia, you wouldn't know it from talking to him, only from watching him write code. That he overcame such an impediment to get a PhD is amazing.

Cavalol

Guru
Spelling is very important. Typos are easy enough and excusable, laziness is most certainly not.
Our beloved language is being destroyed by 'Americanisms' and people who just cannot be bothered to try.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Spelling is very important. Typos are easy enough and excusable, laziness is most certainly not.
Our beloved language is being destroyed by 'Americanisms' and people who just cannot be bothered to try.

Agreed.. But we are a diverse society now and not the BBC announcement standard of the 50s 60's

Top Bottom