Is television really dire at the moment or is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Today marks one year to the day since i last had my television on.
Does it still fit

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Even the ones who do seldom ride em, what happened to @TVC

As for TV's I sooner have my QUAD

View: https://youtu.be/_lhrhxus2vM

@TVC is alive and well and cycling, as for @potsy one couldn't possibly comment, but his bicycle was spotted the other day....
1604309989726.png

I'm enjoying some quality repeats: Spooks, Battlestar Gallactica. A new one for me is Designated Survivor ( White House Down meets West Wing).
There is a lack of comedy that is funny and many of the factual programs have me shouting at the TV. I ended up knowing much more after watching The Secret History of Writing but the shots of their world class expert calligraphers demonstrating ancient methods had too much face time and not enough hands. Same with The Repair Shop.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have two TVs. :blush:

Lockdown has led us to invest in 'on-demand' services and as of this weekend we now have a full house: Sky, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and Netflix (plus I have the remainder of the free Apple TV trial I got when I bought my iPhone). Yes, it's spendy but we rationalise it as spending the money we aren't spending on commuting plus not going to the cinema to see movies. We've used Disney+ pretty heavily, working through the MCU with our kids - Netflix is the latest addition and there's a couple of things on there we'd like to make a start on.

I have to say though, I am still finding it hard to move away from a scheduled TV mindset - away from "what's on now?" to "what shall we watch now?". Faced with choosing from almost everything ever produced for UK broadcast, I struggle to know where to start. Kid in a sweet shop syndrome.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Queen's Gambit on Netflix is excellent :okay: ( I binged 4 episodes last night after my SiL recommended it). Not suitable for kids though!
I'm on a free month trial so not spendy for now!
Between that, Sky, Virgin, normal TV and catch up I probably have enough to watch for now! Plus loads of old DVDs and BR discs :blush:

mikeIow

Guru
It is curious: these days, we have so many more options for viewing that regular TV is no longer the "de facto" go to choice.
The world is changing fast.

Our kids (young adults!) almost NEVER watch TV. We have 'family' Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, & there is a wealth of shows/series etc that we dip into many evenings. Must say I am thinking of lobbing the 5 small ikea shelves of DVDs - never watch 'em!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There is a lack of comedy that is funny and many of the factual programs have me shouting at the TV. I ended up knowing much more after watching The Secret History of Writing but the shots of their world class expert calligraphers demonstrating ancient methods had too much face time and not enough hands. Same with The Repair Shop.
Exactly this^^^
'Factual' programs are far too much about the presenter and fancy graphics IMO and are often too dumbed-down for my liking....

postman

Legendary Member
I have been watching documentaries on YT And Nexflix.the last was about the latest discoveries in Egytpt Saqqara Tombs.It was superb,that then led to more Egytptian documentaries.Incredible programmes.

There is loads of great stuff on, you just need to know where to look, all4 is brilliant so is iPlayer. Just finished watching Roadkill and the brilliant German Cold War drama The Same Sky, both top class dramas.
... is on regular Freeview. It was made in 2017!
Very good though, suspect they were inspired by that other recent East Berlin soldier/spy thing a couple of years ago?

eDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_83

Last edited:
Top Bottom