Is the end of the push bike coming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

I think e-bikes are inherently problematic, in that they are often bought by non-cyclists who are terrified of hills/headwinds etc. After a few months riding, and conseqently improved fitness, they begin to realise that actually, its not that bad, and they want more exercise anyway, which is what they got the thing for in the first place, so they take the battery out and discover that they have bought a very crap, heavy, cumbersome bicycle.

I totally agree. At the start of 2012 I was very tempted to get myself an electric bike because I was about 5 stone overweight and very, very unfit . I wanted a cheaper form of transport to commute than my car but just didn't think I would be able to cycle the 5 hilly miles each way every day.

The only thing that stopped me from getting an electric bike was that I couldn't justify spending the £1500 or so for a decent one. In the end I dropped a couple of stone, got myself a road bike on the cycle to work scheme last August and haven't looked back since. I was commuting 4 days a week a month after getting my bike as it really didn't take that long to build up my base fitness.

Ironically i have spent much more on bikes and gear than I would have spent on the electric bike.

I really doubt that i'd have been commuting through the winter on an electric bike if i'd have gone down that route and expect it would have been gathering dust in my garage.

Top Bottom