Is the Specialized Venge worth the price tag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
If you like it buy it, IMO Specialized make some nice bikes but they are generally overpriced for the spec, compare the specs with bikes from other brands and you will find cheaper better looking alternatives.

If I had the cash I wouldn't buy it, I find it a bit ugly.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. So what if I said to you here are two cars free of charge no cost to you at all, one is an old banger worth £1,000 another a new one with a lot of built in luxury worth £50,000 would you honestly take the banger..

No, of course I'd take the expensive one if it was FOC - I'd be an idiot not to as I'd be turning down free money. However, I'd probably sell the £50k one and use some of the proceeds to buy something a lot cheaper, maybe not an outright banger, but something simple and basic.
I just don't "get" the mentality of needing to make a lot in order to be able to spend a lot. For most people, earning more means working longer hours, not going into a different line of business. If you've found a niche that pays well and gives job satisfaction, that's great, but you aren't typical. Material standard of living doesn't increase in direct proportion to your income. As you move up the price scale (for pretty much anything), the law of diminishing returns bites harder and harder - much like how aerodynamic drag rapidly increases the faster you go. Something that costs 10 times more than a basic item isn't going to be ten times better, it might be twice as good if you are lucky. Take the bikes mentioned; the thread started talking about a £3k bike, then it's talking about a £6.5k super version of the same bike. The only obvious difference I can see it that you pay £3.5k extra to achieve a one pound reduction in weight! VFM = Very Poor!
Now if I really did want the £6.5k version, (and I don't, as I'm completely with @vickster when it comes to ugly plastic aero bikes) I'd be looking to buy it secondhand for around the price of the standard model new. Let someone else take the hit for the VAT and depreciation.

I got my ugly plastic bike for £1500. It was a new bike that had not been ridden with a price tag of £3000. I had an accident, a car pulled out in front of me. The bike was written off because it was plastic and involved in a 30mph accident, despite the fact there was only scratches to the paint. I got full payment for the bike from the insurance company. So my ugly expensive bike (which has done about 30 000 miles now) has cost me -£1500. Would you get that with a cheap bike pulled from a skip?
Would I have been going as fast if I was on a cheaper, or indeed different bike to my race styled bike? I may not have got the 6 figure pay out that will mean I can retire early. I like my ugly plastic bike, it is the bike I always want to ride, it is comfortable, it has done long rides 250 miles plus, touring and commuting. How many bikes pulled out of skips can you say that about?

vickster

Legendary Member
No, of course I'd take the expensive one if it was FOC - I'd be an idiot not to as I'd be turning down free money. However, I'd probably sell the £50k one and use some of the proceeds to buy something a lot cheaper, maybe not an outright banger, but something simple and basic.
I just don't "get" the mentality of needing to make a lot in order to be able to spend a lot. For most people, earning more means working longer hours, not going into a different line of business. If you've found a niche that pays well and gives job satisfaction, that's great, but you aren't typical. Material standard of living doesn't increase in direct proportion to your income. As you move up the price scale (for pretty much anything), the law of diminishing returns bites harder and harder - much like how aerodynamic drag rapidly increases the faster you go. Something that costs 10 times more than a basic item isn't going to be ten times better, it might be twice as good if you are lucky. Take the bikes mentioned; the thread started talking about a £3k bike, then it's talking about a £6.5k super version of the same bike. The only obvious difference I can see it that you pay £3.5k extra to achieve a one pound reduction in weight! VFM = Very Poor!
Now if I really did want the £6.5k version, (and I don't, as I'm completely with @vickster when it comes to ugly plastic aero bikes) I'd be looking to buy it secondhand for around the price of the standard model new. Let someone else take the hit for the VAT and depreciation.

Oh don't get me wrong...I do have a carbon road bike but it's very much of the endurance variety not aero, no deep wheels and not Specialized...and my last (non carbon bike) cost close to £2.5k and I had no issue financially nor ethically nor morally with doing so ...it's my money and I'll spend it however I like... ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
You can pay mine for me then.

You have benefitted from it, we all do. I do not mind paying tax, I just wish everyone else paid their share.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I had an accident, a car pulled out in front of me. The bike was written off because it was plastic and involved in a 30mph accident, despite the fact there was only scratches to the paint. I got full payment for the bike from the insurance company. So my ugly expensive bike (which has done about 30 000 miles now) has cost me -£1500. Would you get that with a cheap bike pulled from a skip?
Would I have been going as fast if I was on a cheaper, or indeed different bike to my race styled bike? I may not have got the 6 figure pay out that will mean I can retire early.?

Some people have very odd reasoning indeed! So you're happy to have been able to ride at such a high speed that when you had an accident, it was a real bad one that resulted in you getting a big payout? You were very lucky on two counts, firstly that you didn't end up dead. Secondly that the driver didn't just make off and leave you lying there with no-one to claim against. Personally, I'd rather not crash in the first place irrespective of where the bike came from or how much it cost me - and if I am going to crash I'd rather the speed involved was as low as possible.

Most people that I know who have come in to contact with a car, the speed they were doing made no difference, it is the speed of the car that has done the damage.
My case was a little different, but I was not lucky to not die, the human body is very resilient. More so than many would think. How mmany people die on the roads on a cycle compared to miles cycled?
If the driver had driven off (she would have struggled, as she had to go to hospital too, I went through her drivers side window and head butted her) I would have claimed through the MIB, but you seem to have a jaded view of the world, where as I prefer to think the best of people.
Still, you can ride around on your cheaper bikes, and I can replace mine every year for £5k if I so wish and still not be out of pocket!

screenman

Legendary Member
You can pay theirs too if you like.

I would like the option rather than just having too. Tax buys us benefits, I would not like to live in a country with no benefits, even though up to now apart from child benefits I do not think I have claimed many. More tax would surely make the country a nicer place to live, put more police on the street, enhance the NHS and help the homeless.

Top Bottom