Is the summer really good this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
April was insanely dry in many locations and very sunny.

Not looked at the May stats but very few grey days here. Very sunny, warm but not insane like Drago says. Perfect.

As for summers 2007 onwards they have sometimes been pretty hot, but humid with rain clouds belting through like a conveyor belt. There have been some very dry summers in there but trend of hot and very wet mostly.

Yeah it's a bit of a mystery innit, less pollution from Planes and Cars and the weather gets better, in fact almost as good as in the 70s when there were less Cars and Planes. Surely this can't be linked can it. :whistle:
No, there is obviously no link. Are you seriously suggesting the effects of global warming would diminish in a couple of months?

Last edited:
Although very hot in the day time, night conditions are closer to normal spring. Sufficiently cold at night to bring in tomatoes. Lost all my Borlotti beans less than 3 weeks ago due to poor weather forecasting. Hoping for a similar amount of rain as last year towards the end of summer, as it was the best ever wild mushroom season EVER. Yes yet another record broken. Every year they come up with the....since records began... bollocks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah it's a bit of a mystery innit, less pollution from Planes and Cars and the weather gets better, in fact almost as good as in the 70s when there were less Cars and Planes. Surely this can't be linked can it. :whistle:
2018 was a half decent Summer.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Even I, the rain magnet and general weather sceptic, will admit that March to May has been far and away the best I can remember in my local area (Ayrshire). Mind you, in recent years it hasn't had much to compete with. I just hope that we aren't going to have to pay the price once proper "summer" arrives. The forecast for the end of the coming week says plummeting temperatures, but still no significant rain. It would be nice to have 6 months of sunshine to look forward to (water shortages not withstanding), but I'm not confident...... :sun:

Handlebar Moustache

Amazingly warm in Edinburgh for the past week or two. Usually even if the sun is out the wind is cold. The wind has been warm. I’m originally from down south and this feels like southern weather.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Pollution is directly linked to the amount of rain we see.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's been the driest spring that I can remember in 30+ years of farming and growing.

With blistering hot days, cold nights - not favourable conditions for temperate loving crops - including grass.

It's too hot to work outside in the middle of the day.
Some crops that would only need watering in once to get going, have really struggled - some have died, if I haven't caught them in time.

I've deployed as much irrigation as possible, but nothing soaks in like a couple of days rain.

Yes of course, the sunshine is lovely, but the heat, and lack of rain is making tjings quite desperate for farmers and growers.

Some rain, and cooler temps forecast for next, but who knows how much??

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Admittedly I wouldn't normally be indoors as much as this year but there has been an amazing sequence of sunsets here. Clear skies, often cloudless. Here's this evening's.

Top Bottom