Is the summer really good this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
IMO in reality it started when lockdown did and has made lock down allot more pleasant

Too right it has made it more pleasant! :smile: Though businesses that make more money in nice weather,like pubs,restaurants and seaside gift shops won't see it that way. They'd have probably preferred that it'd been crap weather, then they wouldn't have missed out on the bumper trade such weather brings!

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The cold nights are very noticeable.
Mind they would be with the scorching day time temperatures!
All the same very cold nights.

Yes and those late frosts meant I had to delay transplanting some cold sensitive crops.
Which in turn meant they had to struggle harder to establish because they were past their 'prime' planting date.

Farmers everywhere, on a global scale are struggling with an increased frequency of these extreme weather events.

We are used to unpredictabilty - up to a point - especially in our maritime climate - but we've seen records broken every year for excesses of so many things.

We need to make our food systems far more resiliant, and also to be far better at being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem when it comes to tackling climate change.

OK off to try and do that right now 👍

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's been glorious in plymouth. It rained overnight for about 20 mins last week, that's all I can remember. The front lawn/verge is completely yellow/brown because my neighbour cut both of our sides about 1 micron in length! Really ironic that we've had the best May I can remember but aren't allowed outside freely. They are forecasting showers on wednesday, then cloudier and cooler, which suits me as it's better for working in the garden if it's not too hot.

I don't know if it's psychological or whether I just haven't been used to the sun, but being out in 22 degreesC yesterday felt unbearable. I've been under 44C in Australia and it surely didn't feel twice as hot!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've had very little rain, and the trails are exceptionally dry, like sand in places, so you've got to be careful. With all this time we have, I've been busy in the garden, but that has meant all my bedding plants, pots, hanging baskets need watering. I think folk would be going more stir crazy if we'd not had this good weather. I can get out on the bike, potter round the garden, and work from the shed without getting cold (although conservatory is too hot).

Strawberries are expected to be ready to pick late May. They don't appear to agree that the weather is that good!!
Me Midlands roughly

Last edited:
I'm loving the absence of aircraft noise too.

The birds seem louder even - as if exultant in their reclamation of the skies..

But that might just be a flight of fancy :blush:
No difference in aircraft noise here. All military. No that many in the first place.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 526701

Strawberries are expected to be ready to pick late May. They don't appear to agree that the weather is that good!!
Me Midlands roughly
We've had 8 so far but the planter with them in is in the Greenhouse.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No difference in aircraft noise here. All military. No that many in the first place.

Yes the only ones we get over now are those occasional Grey Lancaster (?) Bombers - which fly so lumberingly it makes you wonder how they stay up at all.

It's like witnessing a flying elephant.

We (mildly) amuse ourselves by pointing up at them when they come over and saying :

"Looky look, big grey bird in sky" :rolleyes:

Yes and those late frosts meant I had to delay transplanting some cold sensitive crops.
Which in turn meant they had to struggle harder to establish because they were past their 'prime' planting date.

Farmers everywhere, on a global scale are struggling with an increased frequency of these extreme weather events.

We are used to unpredictabilty - up to a point - especially in our maritime climate - but we've seen records broken every year for excesses of so many things.

We need to make our food systems far more resiliant, and also to be far better at being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem when it comes to tackling climate change.

OK off to try and do that right now 👍
What are your opinions on the fourth agricultural revolution?
AI and robotics.
I have put a small amount into the small robot company via crowdcube.
They are going to start of with black grass in wheat. Killing them electro mechanically. Tom finds them Dick electrocutes them. Not sure why Tom has to find them other than savings Dicks batteries running out. Just answered my own question.
Tom and Dick are

Too right it has made it more pleasant! :smile: Though businesses that make more money in nice weather,like pubs,restaurants and seaside gift shops won't see it that way. They'd have probably preferred that it'd been crap weather, then they wouldn't have missed out on the bumper trade such weather brings!
The take-away pub/cafe trade is booming now. They'll make bu99er-all when we get a wet weekend.

Top Bottom