Is the way you're treated by other road users dependant on what bike you're riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I have to find the quieter routes on my brompton as I really feel bullied on some roads.

On my summer roadie I generally get lots of room, if I'm on training rides I'm generally doing a decent pace and I tend to wobble and flick about if I want more room on certain sections.

Generally get decent space on the commuter with a pannier, as I always put the pannier on the RHS.

Acres of space when I'm pulling a trailer, especially if there's something weird in it like an oven.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The only bike I've regularly ridden that resulted in different (better) treatment was my recumbent. Like others have said, mostly nice wide passes and no tailgating. Not that it guaranteed an incident-free ride; I've had maw, paw and the weans in their SUV pull alongside me, all smiles and waving then paw promptly cut across me to make a left turn. They just haven't got a clue about speed assessment or positioning.

southcoast

Über Member
I seem to get less close passes when I’m on my old billet coloured GT hardtail. Could it be because many of the aggressive drives used to own a similar bike and have some empathy towards it?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps motorists fear the unknown? Since recumbent riders are an unknown quantity and are hard to categorize, they play safe and try not to piss you off. After all, the kind of weirdo who goes out in public on one of those things might be capable of anything if they catch up with the driver who has offended them. Similarly, if you are the size of a gorilla on a conventional bike they might give you more space. Then again, probably some drivers just see anything slower than them as an obstacle to be passed at all costs and don't anticipate future consequences. It's called driving like an arse.

roley poley

Über Member
the best I am treated is on my commute dressed in postie uniform with a rolled up mail pouch bungeed to the top of my rack on any of my bikes ...genesis day one/hybrid/brompton ...its funny how people make judgements because me and the bikes are the same and all that changes is the cloth on my back??

KiterStu

the best I am treated is on my commute dressed in postie uniform with a rolled up mail pouch bungeed to the top of my rack on any of my bikes ...genesis day one/hybrid/brompton ...its funny how people make judgements because me and the bikes are the same and all that changes is the cloth on my back??

Britain, especially England, is a class ridden society where many feel the need to look down on somebody else and give them a kicking

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once found a spade on a ride, so I picked it up and strapped it sideways across the back of my bike. Voila, no close passes!! I would imagine a sledgehammer, battleaxe, etc would do a similar job!
Once when I was in Scotland and we were walking in a forest we were passed by a couple on MTBs* with camping gear, the bloke had a 3 foot Axe strapped to his crossbar

*it was 30 years ago but they were what we would now term 'adventure bikes', looked like they were wild camping.

Here is some research on clothing and close passes,

https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcement...ertaking-dangerously-research-study-suggests/

Perhaps changing bikes will the next piece of research .

classic33

Leg End Member
Perhaps motorists fear the unknown? Since recumbent riders are an unknown quantity and are hard to categorize, they play safe and try not to piss you off. After all, the kind of weirdo who goes out in public on one of those things might be capable of anything if they catch up with the driver who has offended them. Similarly, if you are the size of a gorilla on a conventional bike they might give you more space. Then again, probably some drivers just see anything slower than them as an obstacle to be passed at all costs and don't anticipate future consequences. It's called driving like an arse.
We're not that weird, compared to what we ride.
A minority amongst a minority of road users.

I rarely get close passes on an ordinary road bike.
Said it before but my only close passes are from twat cyclists or once a twat motoryclist. I honestly can't think of a close pass incident with a fourwheel motor. A few other roadcraft misdeeds, but not close passing.

I always take the primary position and have been shouted at by a fair few drivers for supposedly being in the wrong place, but even those ill informed aggressive souls have given me enough room when coming past.
So in my book beware SOME cyclists, in a few instances they could have had me under/in the path of a motor vehicle.

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
As a road cyclist i don't think i get that many bad attitudes directed towards me by drivers. I've had a few deliberate close passes by young drivers trying to wind me up, but I think most close passes are down to pure ignorance of bad driving. I've however noticed since fitting my go pro camera to the rear of my bike, drivers that are stuck behind seem to be more patient and will pass with a good margin of space. When there stuck behind it gives them time to notice and realise there's a camera filming them.
As a driver (and cyclist) i always respect fellow cyclists because i know how intimidating it can be out there on two wheels.
There's one group of cyclist that does annoy me though whilst driving.
It's the youngsters that ride in large groups on those 29ers MTBs.
They seem to ride in the centre of the road pulling long wheelies thinking its great to just miss anything in there way. They tend to feel they can hold up the traffic behind whilst riding on one wheel down the road.
I just keep my distance though whilst grumbling to myself

fatjel

Veteran
I found riding a recumbent trike least confrontational , no close passes and friendly attitude from other road users,
BSO in filthy hi viz and work boots no close passes and no interaction with other road users.
Road bike and lycra fair few close passes and most interaction with other road users not pleasant.
Two wheel recumbent I don't recall any close passes but I often have had abuse from motorists, including one coming the other way slowing to call me a Cu*t for no apparent reason.

Sold the trike and kept the two wheeler lol.

Top Bottom