Is the way you're treated by other road users dependant on what bike you're riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
@SkipdiverJohn I think you have probably put it better than me, like in normal life people will take less liberties with you if it looks like you might just give them a good beating if they pee you off.

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Alexei Sayle.

DRHysted

Guru
Commuting on a normal cyclocross bike this week and the overtakes are back to being rather close. So in my experience there is a difference between a normal upright cycle and a tadpole trike.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes. When I owned 9 bikes, including uprights, folders a recumbent bike and recumbent trike it was very noticable.
Since 2008 I'm recumbent trike only and a close pass is a once a year thing. I even get let out of junctions in town!

I seem to get the impression its more as a class war as to what you are wearing, what you are riding and what side of the social spectrum you seem to come come from .

Dressed as a "proper" cyclist in all lycra, you are a silly twat playing on the roads , dressed in a business suit on anything then you are a middle class knob who deserves pushing into the gutter .
However dressed in Civvies, in particular a hoodie, looking like a builder on a ancient BSO, or a youngster pulling wheelies at them then they will leave well alone.
I do seem to notice however that women get treated a bit different, either given a huge wide berth or "scared" with a close path not caring what they look like or what they are on.

'Full kit', or maybe 'commuter kit' makes it appear that you know what you're doing, that you'll ride straight lines, & thus can be approached closer/cut-up:cursing:

'Yoof' (or whatever) on BSO...... unpredictable...... avoid.... give wide berth to
May veer across road to vape shop/swerve whilst texting....etc.....

:wacko::whistle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
What I wear on the bike can make a big difference to drivers' attitudes

John482

Handn't noticed much difference on bikes but in the US if you ride in a helmet, shorts, lycra etc then you're just a cyclist out to get some exorcise. If you wear street clothes you might be homeless or a DUI (driving under influence) offender who's had his license taken.

Top Bottom