Is there a bent to fit me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henshaw11

ISTR there's some degree of leeway in Windcheetah sizing re moving the seat fore/aft, but as you've said, they're pretty much built to size.

HPVelotechnik use their 'bodylink' seat of some of their 'bents - comprises lower and upper halves which slide in/out of each other to suit. Challenge do their seats (formed ally or otherwise) in several sizes, S, M L (XS?) - the M suits someone around 5'9-5'10 (ie me), the large is a *lot* bigger...made for tall Dutchmen !

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Additional thought: after a trip to Bike Doctor you could head on out to Altringham and check out a classic Windcheetah trike (http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/). You will need plenty of money, and they have idiosyncratic handling (so I hear), but each trike is made to order, included the boom length.

Yeah I noticed their factory was in Sale, but then I noticed the price list :eek:
A Windcheetah will not be finding it's way to my house.....................I'm sorry to say :sad:

henshaw11

Yeah I noticed their factory was in Sale, but then I noticed the price list :eek:
A Windcheetah will not be finding it's way to my house.....................I'm sorry to say :sad:

It's worth keeping an eye on the forums*/ebay - s/h machines appear from time to time, tho' finding one the right size might be tricky.

Actually, come to think of it - I'm pretty sure AVD can re-tube the relevant section of the frame if you found one s/h - dunno about the cost tho'

*most likely velovision and british-human-power (the public bit's split off from the main bhpc forum), eg
http://www.british-human-power.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4317&title=windcheetah-hypersport

Catrike UK, is that the highly regarded Mr Ian commnicating directly with little old me? A quick Google of the HPV you mention and I liked the look of it, then I clicked your web link, and I saw the Catrike 700 - WOW!, that thing looks amazing :thumbsup: Now I'm all of a cufuddle :rolleyes:

There are three problems with Ian and his bikes / trikes

1. The machines themselves are superb, I own a Catrike Expedition and have never regretted it.
2. He lets you try these infernal machines and they seduce you into a sense of comfort speed and fun that is unhealthy for your wallet
3. His service and support are second to none.

Joking aside, trikes are a whole new ball game of comfort, speed and agility which you need to try for yourself, but you will not regret contacting IAn and sampling his wares..........

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm a Catrike Owner too - a Dash, at the absolute opposite end of the scale to tall - and very happy with it (and Ian's service).

There were two Windcheetahs on Ebay at the weekend, incidentally, so it's worth looking.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the responses, you've given me plenty to go at, and lots to consider. I hadn't realised how expensive some of these things can be, (Windcheetahs especially!). I do feel that a bent is a definate probablility at some stage, but I need to find a way to have a go before I do anything else, and then my only stumbling block, (as ever), will be SWMBO and wonga!

Night Train

Maker of Things

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks for all the responses, you've given me plenty to go at, and lots to consider. I hadn't realised how expensive some of these things can be, (Windcheetahs especially!). I do feel that a bent is a definate probablility at some stage, but I need to find a way to have a go before I do anything else, and then my only stumbling block, (as ever), will be SWMBO and wonga!

They are pricy, but they are a niche market - and I think it's true to say that you get the quality you pay for - there aren't really any BSOs (Bicycle Shaped Objects, like you get in Tesco) in the 'bent world.

One of the cheapest ways into a trike is a KMX - which I assume would accommodate your size.

http://kmxkarts.co.uk/

They aren't the lightest or the blingyist, but they work. Even when, like Night Train, you've bought them in bits and welded them back together into a sort of Frankentrike... ;)

But yes, try and find a way to try some. Personally I think most trikes handle similarly, so you're looking at weight and size and steering lock and so on, but bikes very hugely and some people get on with one sort and not another. I'm a firm trike fan, because the three wheels give me the confidence at speed, and when descending, that I don't have on two wheels, 'bent or upright.

BTW, on the subject of bikes, Uncle Phil on this forum is abnormally tall (well, he is to me, he probably thinks he's normal ;)) and has a Bentech, with USS.

One of the problems with bikes is that extending the boom alters the centre of gravity and handling. Trikes are immune from this

markg0vbr

Über Member
WARNING
Trike ownership can become addictive, through careful steward ship of my children, my collection is now at a manageable level.
the thing is storage space i have now installed pulleys to hoist one trike up to the roof and a wall bracket so my delta stands on its end and the front wheel just hooks in. for some people it is where am i going to put trike/bike that dictates choice as much as anything.
as for bikes i love my high racers, for any one around 6' or above they are perfect, the feeling when going through fast tight bends atop a high racer must be experienced, my average speed on mine is significantly faster than on any of my trikes, though for touring, social "riding along having a chat" and very long rides, the trike is king.
i can no-longer ride two wheels so at least one more trike will be coming in the the stable something low, light, rigid frame big back wheel, one of the cats look like they fit the bill, still waiting to here from Kevin D re going down and having a go on one :rolleyes:
wind cheaters can have the length of the boom changed as they are glued together rather than welded, a good look at the maker specific forums and goggle would be advised for information on this first.
with York ctc rally coming up there are normally a lot of people on bents there and well worth a visit, i will be there again this year.

You are quite welcome to ride a 700 or Expedition down in sunny Kent or I may be able to point you in the direction of an owner closer to you, there is a 700 in north Yorkshire that I am sure you could have a look at.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
You are quite welcome to ride a 700 or Expedition down in sunny Kent or I may be able to point you in the direction of an owner closer to you, there is a 700 in north Yorkshire that I am sure you could have a look at.

Thanks very much for the offer, I'm up in Bolton so Kent's a fair haul for me or I'd be there like a shot.

As for the addiction element, that's a worry - Mrs S is not best pleased with my current bike collection,(only 4 but soon to be reduced to 3/2), so I suspect a bent collection would go down like Prince Harry in fancy dress at a bar mitzvah :whistle:

Top Bottom