Is there a bent to fit me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm interested in the whole bent thing, and if I was to do it/were to be allowed to do it, I seem to be leaning towards a USS model. This is based pretty much on aesthetics as opposed to much else!

My question is, at 6' 5", would I fit a bent? Do you buy them by frame size, or are they universal with some seat adjustment?

This will be a rolling fascination for me as I suspect funds will restrict my dreams and aspirations for a while, but I just want to start getting a handle on how these weird and wonderful creations seem to fit.

I'd love to try one, but there just isn't anywhere close to me, (Bolton), that seem to do them. The nearest seems to be a place over Derbyshire way.

How about second hand? I always struggle finding used regular bikes in my size, and generally end up having to buy new :rolleyes:

Apart from the obvious, is there anything specific to watch out for with a used bent?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

This sounds so similar to me you might as well be me!! :blink:
The 'bent owner on here will be along to correct/add to what I'm saying but, depending upon manufacturer, most have an adjustable boom (bit wot the BB/cranks are fixed to) which can be slid in/out to accommodate the taller amongst us.
We've a 'bent dealer near us called Dtek recumbents who I believe does usesd stuff but he's a bit of a hike from you.
If I ever have any time I intend to build my own bent, then I know it'll fit my 6ft 5in frame :biggrin:

squeaker

Über Member
I'm interested in the whole bent thing, and if I was to do it/were to be allowed to do it, I seem to be leaning towards a USS model. This is based pretty much on aesthetics as opposed to much else!
More relaxed (?), arguably less aero, and maybe less easy to walk alongside and more awkward to prop up against things? Whatever floats your boat, tho..

My question is, at 6' 5", would I fit a bent? Do you buy them by frame size, or are they universal with some seat adjustment?
Yes
rolleyes.gif
But the majority just have an adjustable front boom which carries the cranks (see here for an example which claims to fit up to 6'7" - the key dimension is 'X-seam' though).

This will be a rolling fascination for me as I suspect funds will restrict my dreams and aspirations for a while, but I just want to start getting a handle on how these weird and wonderful creations seem to fit.
Apart from the obvious, is there anything specific to watch out for with a used bent?
Spend some time on BROL. IMO the main thing to be aware of is that there are many different designs out there, not all have been that friendly to ride, nor that durable.
HTH

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
This sounds so similar to me you might as well be me!! :blink:
The 'bent owner on here will be along to correct/add to what I'm saying but, depending upon manufacturer, most have an adjustable boom (bit wot the BB/cranks are fixed to) which can be slid in/out to accommodate the taller amongst us.
We've a 'bent dealer near us called Dtek recumbents who I believe does usesd stuff but he's a bit of a hike from you.
If I ever have any time I intend to build my own bent, then I know it'll fit my 6ft 5in frame :biggrin:

Hey Brother :biggrin: We do sound like two peas in a pod. What you say about the boom makes perfect sense. Have you tried one yet?

zoxed

Über Member
You need to split the question into 2 parts: leg length and body length, the former being the most critical and should be the one quoted by manufactures (e.g. see other post on X-seam).

Max leg length of a bike depends on boom and/or seat adjustment whereas body length depends a bit on the seat design (do the seat curves fit your back and is the top of the seat high enough to support your body).

byegad

Legendary Member
Some manufacturers offer longer booms for the tall rider, ICE offer a seat mount which sets the seat back to give more room for freakishly long legs. Mine are so short they only just reach the ground and if they were longer I'd not be 'clinically obese', in fact I'm short for my weight! That's all!:biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would suggest that it is well worth trying to find some to try, even if it means travelling a bit for it.

I found out the hard and painful way that I can only manage an over seat steering two wheel 'bent. The USS ones I fall off very easily. It is just a quirk of my own but had I not known it could have been costly were I to buy one.
Many years ago I tried a few 'bents at Bicycle Doctor near Rusholme. I couldn't even get a few yards on a Pier Gynt but I managed a few streets on a Linear before crashing back into their shop front having lost control heading back up the pavement and trying to get a foot back down.
I don't know if they still do any 'bents there.

They do come in a huge range of 'flavours' now and even finding one that is the right size doesn't mean it will be right or ridable for you.
I recently had a go on a few recumbent trikes and found that the Scorpion was really hard work but the Gekko was a delight, but to look at them there wouldn't be much in it.

I'm the Catrike importer and am 6'4" and ride both a Catbike and a Catrike, I also have a used HPV Streetmachine here with USS that will be on the showroom floor shortly.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks, zoxed. My length is definately in my legs more so than my torso, 35' inseam :rolleyes:

Cheers for the ICE info byegad, defo worth a nosey.

Thanks NT. I'll make seom enquiries with Bicycle Doctor, is it me, or does your excitement start to run away with you as you start gathering more information? I'm starint gto get giddy to have a go now :whistle:

Catrike UK, is that the highly regarded Mr Ian commnicating directly with little old me? A quick Google of the HPV you mention and I liked the look of it, then I clicked your web link, and I saw the Catrike 700 - WOW!, that thing looks amazing :thumbsup: Now I'm all of a cufuddle :rolleyes:

Seriously though, thanks for all the info so far. I've sown some seeds with SWMBO, so she knows what I'm thinking about, and like Ian said, it's not usually long before I get what I want.

Yes the 700 is delicious, we had a 700 R go out this weekend in sparkle british racing green, I wanted it. I am in fact having one just like it, it will be the demo technically but I get to ride the demos.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks NT. I'll make seom enquiries with Bicycle Doctor, is it me, or does your excitement start to run away with you as you start gathering more information? I'm starint gto get giddy to have a go now :whistle:

As far as I can tell, excitement definately runs away and increases exponentially.:biggrin:

I find myself getting excited at recumbent bikes and trikes whereas uprights do very little for me at all. I am also spending far too much time researching ideas and info to build my next trike based on my experiences with my Ratrike.:blush:
:whistle:
:biggrin:

zoxed

Über Member
Additional thought: after a trip to Bike Doctor you could head on out to Altringham and check out a classic Windcheetah trike (http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/). You will need plenty of money, and they have idiosyncratic handling (so I hear), but each trike is made to order, included the boom length.

Top Bottom