Is there a bike to support my weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Similar story here. When I started commuting, there were hills that I found a real challenge - bottom gear, grinding away with legs on fire, crawling to the top. Now, I charge up them faster, two gears higher, and feel fine at the top. The change seemed to happen very suddenly, almost over a weekend, but it's great. Less blubber, better legs, more puff - it all adds up.

colin-java

Regular
Im jus scared its cos im a lard ass :sad:

In other news my arse hurts today!
Your weight acts downwards mostly, so there isn't much force pressing on the seat horizontally.
There must be something wrong with the seat if its moving, it should be absolutely solid.

bigladonabike

Hi. I have an old dual suspension GT mountain bike, complete with nobbly tyres, that I use to potter about on. A few friends have got into a bit of road cycling for a bit of fitness (all biggish blokes, 40ish yrs old), nothing too serious, once a week 20 miler, but I'm inclined to get out with them to shift a bit of weight myself too. Most started on old mountain bikes but quickly got wise and graduated to hybrids/road bikes.

My trusty GT just isn't going to cut it. I realise the dual suspension is going to be a killer, absorbing so much of the energy, so I've decided to look at a cheap second hand hybrid to see how I get on before talking the plunge properly.

Here are my options at present.
Carrera Gryphon - 21inch frame, 28inch wheels, 1 option has disc brakes, the other option doesn't.
Carrera Subway 1 - 22inch frame, 27.5inch wheels, disc brakes.

At this point, I should say, I'm 6ft2 and just shy of 20st, hence I'm seeking advice over which is going to be most suitable for someone my size. Height wise, and what is going to best cope with my weight.
I wouldn't rule out cycling to work if all goes well. Gryphon looks like it may be a but quicker to ride, has that road bike end look to the hybrid range, whereas the subway looks a little closer to MTB end of the hybrid spectrum.
Seeking advice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi. I have an old dual suspension GT mountain bike, complete with nobbly tyres, that I use to potter about on. A few friends have got into a bit of road cycling for a bit of fitness (all biggish blokes, 40ish yrs old), nothing too serious, once a week 20 miler, but I'm inclined to get out with them to shift a bit of weight myself too. Most started on old mountain bikes but quickly got wise and graduated to hybrids/road bikes.

My trusty GT just isn't going to cut it. I realise the dual suspension is going to be a killer, absorbing so much of the energy, so I've decided to look at a cheap second hand hybrid to see how I get on before talking the plunge properly.

Here are my options at present.
Carrera Gryphon - 21inch frame, 28inch wheels, 1 option has disc brakes, the other option doesn't.
Carrera Subway 1 - 22inch frame, 27.5inch wheels, disc brakes.

At this point, I should say, I'm 6ft2 and just shy of 20st, hence I'm seeking advice over which is going to be most suitable for someone my size. Height wise, and what is going to best cope with my weight.
I wouldn't rule out cycling to work if all goes well. Gryphon looks like it may be a but quicker to ride, has that road bike end look to the hybrid range, whereas the subway looks a little closer to MTB end of the hybrid spectrum.
Seeking advice.

There's an old saying in cycling: "No one ever got fit riding a light bike."

Like many old sayings, it's not quite true, but you would have to do more miles on a light bike to get the same fitness benefit.

Doing the 20-mile rides with your mates on the GT will get you fitter faster and have greater impact on your weight than using a hybrid.

You describe your GT as 'trusty', so presumably you like it, so why not keep it?

It will roll quite well with a set of semi-slick tyres such as Schwalbe Smart Sam, inflated to close to maximum pressure.

The suspension will sap some power, but you can minimise that to as near as makes no difference by setting it as hard as possible or by using the lockout if there is one.

Top Bottom