Is there a dentist in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Morning All.

A crown parted company from one of my teeth last night. It pops back on quite easily but won't stay there. Therefore my question is: is it OK to secure said crown with a blob of superglue or cyanoacrylate modelling glue or is this dangerous and I must hang on until I can see a dentist?

Keith Oates

Janner
See a dentist must be the safe answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melvil

You can buy specific kits in the chemist that have the glue to stick a crown back temporarily and perhaps disinfect etc. but as Keith says, get on the blower and book an appointment with the dentist as soon as you can.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The thing to remember with Superglue is that the bond can be weakened or broken with hot water, thus the warm wet conditions in your mouth are not suitable for it to work as you would like. Plus the last thing you want to do is to glue your tounge to your teeth inadvertantly!
Get thee to a dentist man!

T x

bonj2

tdr1nka said:
The thing to remember with Superglue is that the bond can be weakened or broken with hot water, thus the warm wet conditions in your mouth are not suitable for it to work as you would like. Plus the last thing you want to do is to glue your tounge to your teeth inadvertantly!
Get thee to a dentist man!

T x

it can also be corroded by mud.

girofan

Go for it Andy! I had a boss some years ago who did this very thing, and it lasted 2 weeks. Unfortunately the first appointment he could obtain was 3 weeks later!
Unless you go private, it seems to be the norm for a consultation.
If it does glue your mouth shut, your partner will no doubt take maximum advantage.:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
To a dentist, no superglue, for the reasons given by Tdr1nka.:biggrin::biggrin:

Does the NHS provide an outreach service for expats in Germany?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to spend too much money in my LBS so I learned to do basic jobs on my bike. I think picking up some basic dentistry skills would be very useful too. Is there something like the Park Tools website, only for teeth?

be very careful putting super glue in your gob, my work colleaugue did a DIY job on chiped bit of tooth and gave himself chemical poisoning!

redcogs

Guru
You might try nailing it on with a sharp spike using a two pound hammer..

If that fails, white hot molten lead dripped onto root might do the trick as a temp measure, but be aware that you may experience some slight discomfort during application.

Abitrary

Slowgrind said:
Bostick! Well it stuck the knob back on our kettle and it`s not come off yet!

I'd go with the Bostick. Plus that kettle will be subjected to extreme heat temperatures, unlike a human mouth (unless they're a fire-eater or something).

k-dog

I had a temporary bridge thing a few years ago while I was waiting for my gums to settle so I could get the proper ceramic one and before that I had a really quick mould of my original teeth stuck in to last the week it took them to make the good temporary one.

The dentist told me that it may come loose before next Friday. Sure enough at work on Thursday night it fell out leaving me looking like an ice hockey player. He had told me to just give it a dab with clear nail polish and that would hold it for a couple of days.

Nipped to the chemist across the road and did that and had one of the most painful experiences I had had - nail polish on raw flesh is a little uncomfortable to say the least.

Didn't seem very sticky either.

Top Bottom