Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've only been cycling, and therefore noticing cyclists in any detail, for 3 months . I've never yet seen anybody not wearing a helmet whilst cycling on the road. Do people really do that?

Yes, it’s perfectly normal and acceptable. Look at the levels of helmetlessness in countries with the highest cycle usage.

If you you want further discussion on the merits of this there is a specific thread for it, it won’t be allowed in this one.

mustang1

Guru
If you wear a cycling cap, then you're gonna look like a little boy out of the Hovis advert from years back.

I've worn a cycling cap for some years and still have not decided if I like the look and somewhat swayed to the side of disliking the look but unsure what else to wear (I don't like having a cold head and a bike cap seems to be just the right thickness/quality).

D

Deleted member 26715

If I wear one at the start of a ride, but by 5(ish) miles in it normally comes off as I have warmed up & then start to overheat, so normally I only wear a headband that covers my ears

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thank you @Mugshot, you've expressed what I was thinking very well.

I started using a cap about four years ago, to protect my forehead and scalp from the sun. I still have a decent head of hair, but it no longer offers 100% protection where it used to :sad:.

The one I normally use is an eye-catching bright yellow. As it's principally for protection I often don't use it when the sun isn't at full strength, but when heading back into town at the end of the day I might put it back on to make myself a bit more visible. Perhaps it makes little difference (white hair is also pretty conspicuous) but it can't be a bad idea.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I wasn’t sure whether or not only wearing a cap was frowned upon by other cyclists.

Wear what you like.

There is a judgemental minority who get a feeling of virtue by berating other cyclists about the "need" to wear a helmet as they pass.

They are c*nts and should be treated in the same way you would a neighbour who tells you how to bring up your children.

Skibird

Hopefully sometime next week I’ll be finally riding a road bike.

I don’t have a helmet at the moment. But, I did buy a cycling cap from the 1990s earlier today on eBay which I intend to wear when I’m out on the bike.

Do you wear a cycling cap? If so, do you think other cyclists judge you because of it?

I recall seeing a lot of cyclists over the years only wearing cycling caps.
I always wear one and am glad after having a bad fall and hitting my head, however, hubby just won't and he's an ex motorbike racer, he will only wear a baseball hat. Never had any comments, but it's nobody else's business anyway.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As with the rest of life, as long as you're conducting yourself in a safe and respectful manner bugger what anyone else thinks.

I often wonder whether the lack of acknowledgement I receive from other road cyclists is because of my appearance - no helmet, base layer, baggy swimming shorts and a small MTB rucksack; so many fashion faux-pas to offend the "proper" roadie :rolleyes:

Road cycling especially does seem to have a big fashion component and I think more gear / apperance snobbery than other areas of cycling.. there seem to be a lot of pretentious muppets out there (of which this forum appears to be refreshingly free :smile: ).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is almost a helmet thread. :whistle:

The answer is wear what you want because nobody else really cares. Even if somebody did care are you really going to change what you are doing to please them?

Its your head and therefore its only your business.

screenman

Legendary Member
As with the rest of life, as long as you're conducting yourself in a safe and respectful manner bugger what anyone else thinks.

I often wonder whether the lack of acknowledgement I receive from other road cyclists is because of my appearance - no helmet, base layer, baggy swimming shorts and a small MTB rucksack; so many fashion faux-pas to offend the "proper" roadie :rolleyes:

Road cycling especially does seem to have a big fashion component and I think more gear / apperance snobbery than other areas of cycling.. there seem to be a lot of pretentious muppets out there (of which this forum appears to be refreshingly free :smile: ).

How do you know that last bit?

Julia9054

Guru
I've only been cycling, and therefore noticing cyclists in any detail, for 3 months . I've never yet seen anybody not wearing a helmet whilst cycling on the road. Do people really do that?
Yes, me.
I wear a cap when it's sunny, beanie when it's cold and bare head the rest of the time. If I'm shopping I wear normal clothes, commuting, sports gear and for road/leisure riding, I wear lycra.
I enjoy fashion and sportswear/lycra as well as being practical is another expression of it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I find that hard to believe, very hard.
as long as it matchers the bike who cares ;)
That is really quite sadly desperate if you believe it. I will assume it is tongue-in-cheek!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes. The majority of cyclists don't use helmets. I think the highest a UK national survey ever got was 40ish% usage and then the proportion started falling and then the government stopped national surveys which may not have been coincidental.

Maybe you're not great at observation, maybe the roads near you feel unsafe, maybe something else.

If I remember correctly, the only country to report credibly voluntary usage above half was Ireland about 20 years ago but it was only just and only one year, falling again since.

Last edited:
Top Bottom