Is there a stigma to only wear a cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No muppets on here, the odd thing is I seldom come across all these pretentious roadies some of you do are you sure they are actually out there.
Absolutely - seems to be a nice relaxed and tolerant atmosphere on here most of the time :smile:

I see a good few unpretentious roadies - folk on ancient steel bikes, more casual riders like myself (yesterday I saw a guy whose gear and facial hair suggested he'd been imported directly from a 1950's "Gentleman's bicycle race", which was novel). I pass the odd friendly rider with all the gear, but also a lot of snobs who just glare incredulously in response to a friendly wave, nod of the head or other acknowledgement of their presence..

Sounds like you ride in a decent part of the world :smile:

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Although I wouldn’t change my appearance and would probably tell someone to ‘sod off’ for making a remark, I don’t want to look out of place, if that makes sense. I don’t want to wear a helmet.

Mind you, I see quite a lot of cyclists wearing sunglasses and I can’t stand wearing sunglasses!

screenman

Legendary Member
Absolutely - seems to be a nice relaxed and tolerant atmosphere on here most of the time :smile:

I see a good few unpretentious roadies - folk on ancient steel bikes, more casual riders like myself (yesterday I saw a guy whose gear and facial hair suggested he'd been imported directly from a 1950's "Gentleman's bicycle race", which was novel). I pass the odd friendly rider with all the gear, but also a lot of snobs who just glare incredulously in response to a friendly wave, nod of the head or other acknowledgement of their presence..

Sounds like you ride in a decent part of the world :smile:

I guess you are right, but I have also cycled in may other parts of the country. I wonder if it may be down to cyclist not joining clubs like they used to many years ago.

vickster

Legendary Member
Although I wouldn’t change my appearance and would probably tell someone to ‘sod off’ for making a remark, I don’t want to look out of place, if that makes sense. I don’t want to wear a helmet.

Mind you, I see quite a lot of cyclists wearing sunglasses and I can’t stand wearing sunglasses!
Glasses are a good idea, to stop grit and bugs and minimise wind the making your eyes water which can be very uncomfortable 👍
they can have clear lenses

Cycling is an extremely broad church, you won’t look out of place. Even women ride road bikes ;)

if you want to join a club, you'll need to be sure they don’t enforce helmet wearing (I don’t know if any do, sportives do insist)

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never owned a cycling cap. In the winter I used to wear a wooly hat that pulled down over my ears. The rest of the time I wore a helmet. The only advantage I can see for wearing any type of peaked cap is keeping the sun out your eyes. This can be better than sunglasses in some respects becasue glasses can fog up. Just wear what you want and find comfortable

wafter

Really??

I've been cycling for decades, and have literally never experienced this.

Could I gently suggest you might be over interpreting a tad?
Maybe, maybe not.

Surely it fair to suggest that at the very least, ignoring another invididuals acknowledgement of you is un-necessary and rude (assuming it's safe to do so and you're not in the middle of a maximum effort / smashing a Strava segment etc). A fairly objective measure of attitude IMO.

Anyway, thead's meandering somewhat off topic...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
if you want to join a club, you'll need to be sure they don’t enforce helmet wearing (I don’t know if any do, sportives do insist)
Generally, it's ones backed by British Cycling or other branches of government who are more likely to. I think Sustrans leave it to ride leaders, while Cycling UK and CycleNation discourage it (briefing on CUK site) but some affiliates are daffodils.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe, maybe not.

Surely it fair to suggest that at the very least, ignoring another invididuals acknowledgement of you is un-necessary and rude (assuming it's safe to do so and you're not in the middle of a maximum effort / smashing a Strava segment etc). A fairly objective measure of attitude IMO.

Anyway, thead's meandering somewhat off topic...
Maybe it’s down to your baggy budgie smuggler attire :whistle: :ph34r:

wafter

Maybe it’s down to your baggy budgie smuggler attire :whistle: :ph34r:
Aye - as per my point in my original post. However, my shorts can't be both baggy and budgie smugglers (by conventional definition anyway) - in practical terms you could fit loads of your granny's favourite companion into my shorts before they started to look like a shrink-wrapped fruit assortment 🍌

Top Bottom