Is there any way to change the narrative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember a jokey, pre-internet meme about drivers' wearing hats. It was a good rule of thumb (as another driver) to beware of a driver in a hat. A discussion came up: which was worse, a driver in a hat or an old driver? We decided the worse one was an old driver in a hat. Finally we realised that the driver to be most wary of on the roads was a driver wearing a bowling hat.

This theory stood the test of time. If I noticed a driver wearing a bowling hat, I always assumed they would behave in unpredictable ways. This assumption saved me from a number of prangs, I think.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I remember a jokey, pre-internet meme about drivers' wearing hats. It was a good rule of thumb (as another driver) to beware of a driver in a hat. A discussion came up: which was worse, a driver in a hat or an old driver? We decided the worse one was an old driver in a hat. Finally we realised that the driver to be most wary of on the roads was a driver wearing a bowling hat.

This theory stood the test of time. If I noticed a driver wearing a bowling hat, I always assumed they would behave in unpredictable ways. This assumption saved me from a number of prangs, I think.

There's more than a grain of truth in that. My (elderly) father who was a bit of a dithery driver at the best of times, seemed to get worse when he took to wearing a hat whilst driving. To be fair he's dithery, but steady, so not likely to do anything reckless or foolish so arguably the risk is other people in a hurry trying to get past whilst he makes up his mind where to go.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Has anyone got any thoughts on the response I've recieved from the park manager in response to my writing to them about this incident?

Dear Sara_H

I have contacted one of the bowls club members and asked for them to explain the series of events with regards to the incident you referred to in your email of 6th October 2015.

The response indicates as you stated that the car was moving off as you was adjacent the vehicle and was unfortunate the problem occurred, as was the discussion that continued once the car had moved off and parked adjacent the gate to the bowling green.

We do allow cars to access the park at the entrance on Meersbrook Park Road and park at the bowling green for disabled members only, but they have to enter the park with their hazards on and travel 5mph. We have very little complaints with regards to the vehicles entering at this entrance, and as far as I am aware they do not abuse this arrangement which has been in place for many years.

Ian,

13 rider

Guru
Id write back asking if they have reaffirmed to the bowls club members regarding disabled drivers only ,5mph and hazards as your first post made it sound like all club members thought they have right of access . Then I let it drop and move on

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't think you are going to get anything further but at least you have clarification on what vehicles are meant to do should you meet a vehicle again there.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Has anyone got any thoughts on the response I've recieved from the park manager in response to my writing to them about this incident?

Dear Sara_H

I have contacted one of the bowls club members and asked for them to explain the series of events with regards to the incident you referred to in your email of 6th October 2015.

The response indicates as you stated that the car was moving off as you was adjacent the vehicle and was unfortunate the problem occurred, as was the discussion that continued once the car had moved off and parked adjacent the gate to the bowling green.

We do allow cars to access the park at the entrance on Meersbrook Park Road and park at the bowling green for disabled members only, but they have to enter the park with their hazards on and travel 5mph. We have very little complaints with regards to the vehicles entering at this entrance, and as far as I am aware they do not abuse this arrangement which has been in place for many years.

Ian,
Have the bowls club received a similar letter reminding them that cycling is allowed in the park?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't know. This is the only response I've had. I don't really feel reassured by it.
I can see why the manager doesn't want to get too involved in the altercation, and why he describes it as "unfortunate" but I would maybe just write back thanking him for his response and asking whether the club had received similar. At least then they'd have no cause to say that you're not allowed to be there.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I can see why the manager doesn't want to get too involved in the altercation, and why he describes it as "unfortunate" but I would maybe just write back thanking him for his response and asking whether the club had received similar. At least then they'd have no cause to say that you're not allowed to be there.
Yes, I can see that. I'd hoped he'd expand a little more on risk assessment as I'd mentioned in my original e mail the fact that a public document relating to the park has several mentions about reducing the risk posed by cyclists but no mention at all about reducing the risks by drivers.
The use of hazard lights by drivers in the park isn't going to reduce the risk of collisions, and in fact in this case I'd say it increased the risk as I assumed that her hazards lights meant that she was staying put. It also meant that she didn't use her indicators to indicate that she was pulling away.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes, the hazards lights thing is silly. They're the motorist's equivalent of a hi viz jacket. There's a perception that they somehow make the car more visible.

I recall someone suggesting that there ought to be a "factory reset" for hazard lights, so you can use them maximum three times before you need to go to a service centre and get the system reset. The idea being that you actually need them so rarely that three times would be plenty.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This manager said a lot of stuff without actually saying anything!
He clearly does not want to get involved, but to leave the episode unchallenged could lead to a dangerous previous imo.
If the bowlers have convinced themselves that cycling is not allowed in the park, then maybe they are saying it to other cyclists too, that could believe this, avoiding the park as a route.
Maybe, Sara, you could lobby for a few signs that clearly state cycling is allowed, get the local councilor involved, or local cycling activist groups.

Top Bottom