Is there any way to change the narrative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I had an experience today that was quite unpleasant. So I'll describe what happened to set the scene.

There's a local park that I ride through most days. Its allocated as a traffic free cycle route and is marked as such on the local authority cycle routes map.

Just inside the park is a bowling green. It seems that the bowling club members are allowed to drive into the park and drive on the footpaths to the clubhouse and park there. I assume this is because some of the bowling club members are elderly, I'm not aware that any other members of the public are allowed to drive in there.

As I was approaching the park gates today a car pulled into the gate and stopped part in the gateway and part with the rear end of her car on the pavement. The driver then put the hazard lights on. Because the car was slap bang in the middle of the gate I was forced to squeeze through a small gap on the drivers side. Of course, at this point the driver pulled away and only very narrowly avoided hitting me.

What shocked me most was the reaction. A fellow bowling club member hearing me shout (I'd shouted as she pulled away to "STOP") gave me a glare, and then told me that cyclists weren't allowed in the park, anyhow, you can imagine the rest, it all got very unpleasant and all the standard stuff was spouted - all cyclists are a menace, don't have a bell, don't have lights, are dangerous, should be banned from the roads etc. And isn't it amazing that even though such incidents are incredibly rare, everybody but me seems to know somebody who's been knocked over by cyclists?

After a couple of minutes of this I left him, but he followed me still ranting. At this point the driver is parking up, so I approached her and tried to have a reasonable discussion with her. She admitted that she had absolutely no idea about what had just happened but then proceeded to tell me that it was my fault because cycling isn't allowed in the park (it is) and that I shouldn't have tried to squeeze past her and that I should have waited for her to pull out - I kept calm and pointed out that I'd had to squeeze past as she was blocking the gate, and that I was in effect passing a stationary vehicle so had absolutely no idea if she was about to pull out or if she was planning to park there for 10 minutes and that I couldn't reasonably have been expected to wait to find out if she was planning to pull out. Her friend is absolutely vitriolic, spitting out unpleasantness along the usual lines.
By now more bowling club members are arriving, even though none of them have witnessed whats happened they're all very sure it was my fault and aren't shy in telling me and also reminding me that cycling isn't allowed in the park, yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, what this incident and others has made me realise that if you scratch just a little beneath the surface of most average people in this country there's an absolutely vile hatred of cyclists that seems to be based on skewed perceptions and complete ignorance.
I've often scoffed at the parallels drawn between this and forms of bigotry, but after days like today it doesn't seem too far off.

So here I am completely shaken, not so much by the event itself but by the ugly attitudes of those around me today. So shaken that its 2am and I can't sleep so am writing this long winded post.

I just wondered if there's any hope of these attitudes ever turning around?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't know, but I think we are all due some new attitudes in the way in which we, as persons, deal with one another. I don't think it's any one country or another, as these attitudes seem the same in the States. Yes, there is hope of these attitudes turning around. Starting with each of us, because that is the one person we can control.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've had similar, tennis club, only I was close enough to return home & get a camera.
There was a No Motor Vehicles sign on the gates, which they chose to ignore. I'd had enough if their shouting the first time and just pointed the camera in their direction if they said anything. All the cars were photographed and formed part of the complaint made to the council. Two were even parked on the bowling green.

Just point out to them the number of vehicles (25%) currently on the roads in the UK illegally and what you see drivers doing everyday.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I would want to prove I was correct in that situation even if it was after the event. So how can you prove cycling is allowed? Is there a map showing the route or could you ask the council, or signs up showing you can use the park.

I regularly cycle through a park that also has a bowling green in it (and tennis courts), but there is a short road that leads to a car park so I expect them where our patches cross. However the only way I could prove I could cycle there is the local cycling map, that I presume is backed up with the proper by-laws. I don't think I've seen a sign there saying it is permitted on the path that carries on from the car park.

If I came up with the proof, I might be tempted to photocopy it and flyer every car parked there next week!:whistle:

As for the attitude, I think that people can react badly when they feel challenged, or defensive. Your description of her driving leaves me wondering if she is safe on the road, and maybe a little bit of her knows that. Either that or she's a cantankerous old bat;)

Brandane

Legendary Member
The solution......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0yK9RG_fu6yuBqsgYQpw-FiyBYCoI_3H5B6YVkVwsKrGTIFkh.jpg

Change the narrative? We should all contribute to dementia and alzheimer's research.

The solution......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0yK9RG_fu6yuBqsgYQpw-FiyBYCoI_3H5B6YVkVwsKrGTIFkh.jpg

Perhaps eles drastic would be to tackle the original problem( See Classic 33's post)

First of all there is some concern thatthey are unaware it is an approved cycle facility

A polite email to the club with the details, and asking if they could correct the ignorance of heir members should deal with that, also ask thatthey deal with th e inconsiderat and illegal parking of their members

Being elderly or infirm is not an excuse. Even if a driver holds a Blue Badge, they are not allowed to park inconsideratley or dangerously. They can be ticketed for either, despite the badge. Equally the Council has a duty to enforce safe parking inthe area.

From the "Blue badge manual" (The Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England)

he Blue Badge is not a licence to park anywhere. Like other road users, you must obey the rules of the road, as laid out in the Highway Code.

Safe andresponsible parking
Do not park where it would endanger,
inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or
other road users. Examples of dangerous
or obstructive parking include the following,
although there are others:

school entrances, bus stops, on a bend,
or near the brow of a hill or hump bridge;

parking opposite or within 10 metres
(32 feet) of a junction, except in an
authorised parking space;

where it would make the road narrow,
such as by a traffic island or roadworks;

where it would hold up traffic, such as
in narrow stretches of road or blocking
vehicle entrances;

where emergency vehicles stop or go in
and out, such as hospital entrances;

where the kerb has been lowered or the
road raised to help wheelchair users; and

on a pavement, unless signs permit it

parking opposite or within 10 metres
(32 feet) of a junction, except in an
authorised parking space;

where it would make the road narrow,
such as by a traffic island or roadworks;

where it would hold up traffic, such as
in narrow stretches of road or blocking
vehicle entrances;

where emergency vehicles stop or go in
and out, such as hospital entrances;

where the kerb has been lowered or the
road raised to help wheelchair users; and

on a pavement, unless signs permit it

It may be that this is customary rather than with any approval.

Stopping their access and parking would be a sweet revenge

Speak to the Council about the issues being caused by the parking and use of the park

LocalLad

Life is short. If it were me, I'd have banged on the side of the car to let the driver know I were there (nothing aggressive, just to alert them to your presence), then ridden off.

The phrase that comes to mind is "never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience"

I can't see that any level of argument would help you in any way. If anything, they'll probably have a worse image of cyclists as a result of the argument, whereas they probably would have forgotten about you cycling away quite quickly.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Complain to the council or whoever runs the park. Also direct to your local ward councillors. Email or letter and on social media - .@name. My local council is now more likely to pop into action if prompted this way.

You say cycling is allowed & I read cars appear to be a goodwill gesture to elderly users? If car use isn't strictly permitted demand that while you don't want to stop them having this perk, it MUST be used in a responsible manner that does not impede or upset other legitimate users of the park - wheelchair users, parents with pushchairs, blind or partially sighted persons etc as well as cyclist's. The council ono will have a hell of a lot more responsibility and regs on inclusivity and disabled access than to fit young bike riders or a grumpy gang bowlers abusing a perk.

Also see if the authority has a BUG or cycling forum that council members attend so that you can speak directly to them.

Lastly a word to the neighbourhood police team, asking if the local PCSOs can keep an eye on the park and parking when out round there to keep them to fair rules and the law.

You could write to the secretary of the bowling club or the local paper explaining how the dispicable bullying attitude of their membership reflectes badly on the impression and good name of their club AND point out that cycling is allowed in the park. but they sound like a bunch of bumholes so probably would take it as a challenge to upset any cyclists they encounter in there.

Top Bottom