Is this a disciplinary offence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If someone empties your personal storage space at work without your permission and in your absence and takes it over in addition to their existing own storage space, lies in the process (incl to management) and shows an appalling attitude when approached about it, is there any point in taking this further?

Is it worth the hassle? She'll be gone in a bit anyway.

buggi

Bird Saviour
this happened at our place a few years ago and the only reason they didn't get disciplined is coz the "victim" didn't think it was worth the hassle, but it was made very clear to the perpetrator that HR were not impressed and they could do something if they so wish, and they made her apologise. i know tho that this person actually broke a lock to get in to look for something so i don't know where you stand without a lock .

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Wait till she's out, take all her stuff out of the nicked draw, put it in a bin liner and dump same on her desk. Repossess the drawer. When she comes back tell her, before she starts gobbing off, that you want a word with her outside in the corridor. Once you've got her in the corridor tell her that unless she's prepared for you to get very nasty indeed, she needs to wind her neck in.

It might also be an idea to tip off a manager in advance that you are going to repossess the drawer (leave out the corridor bit). You might then find that in order to avoid trouble, the manager offers to deal with it. Point out however that unless dealing with it involves you getting your drawer back, you will revert to the above plan.

Downward

Guru
Take back the drawer and leave something in their to dissuade her from rooting through it.
Maybe something cycling related that may get a bit whiffy and that no-one but yourslef would like to be touching.

Fight fire with Fire but do tell your manager your taking back your drawer 1st as they obviously will tend to side with her.

Then just buy a hasp and staple and padlock it !

col

Legendary Member
There are rules against harrassment,the company will be very aware of them,and this is that,she took your things out with out you knowing after pestering to have your draw,then verbally abused you when you asked her about it,its called bullying and no company should or would put up with it,its enough that she has you feeling the way you do.Speak to the highest authority you can,and ask that its dealt with,or you will go further with it,that is if the company wont deal with harrasment,you will take legal advice as the company is bound to deal with it,thats if you want to go that far,because it would show the company up in a bad way if they wouldnt sort a bully out.If your confident enough ask to have a member of management present in an office while you two are in with them so you can ask the bully why they did what they did,and that you would like your draw back,as well as explaining the way she treat you made you angry and upset,and it has to stop.It depends how you feel and if your not intimidated by them too,this is why some get away with it ,because people can be frightened to confront the situation.do you have a union rep,or some sort of mediator you can go to?

MarkF

Guru
I can hardly believe what I am reading, this is not a parallel "office world" it's the real world, stop whining about it and do the right thing. Go in early tomorrow morning, and get your bloody drawer back:angry:!

Then, tell her directly that it is yours not hers and she will not be getting it back under any circumstances. You should have done this already instead of pondering options, letting the situation deteriorate and get muddled. No wonder this woman behaves so badly, stand up to her, it is best for everybody, oh, good luck:biggrin:.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
The reason I haven't just claimed my drawer back is that I didn't want to weaken my position by basically doing the same thing that she has done. As for this is the "real world" - yes, I know it seems like a really odd thing to have to post about, but without actually having encountered said person it is impossible to describe how she somehow manages to run the place and get away with murder (my drawer is only a very mild and minor example). With anybody else, there would have been no need for any posts on here and I wouldn't be sad enough to stick one on, but honestly, she is a totally different species - have never experienced anything like her! I have never involved a manager in a problem I might have had with a colleague in my life, certainly not about something stupid like a drawer (in fact, I tend to get on with my colleagues fine), but without being able to get into all the ins and outs, this is a slightly different case...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Downward said:
Take back the drawer and leave something in their to dissuade her from rooting through it.
Maybe something cycling related that may get a bit whiffy and that no-one but yourslef would like to be touching.

Fight fire with Fire but do tell your manager your taking back your drawer 1st as they obviously will tend to side with her.

Then just buy a hasp and staple and padlock it !

Taste of her own medicine?

Put something in "her" drawers :biggrin:, not identifiable to you, but not pleasant; half eaten apple! At the front, so she notices it. Repeat with other drawers as and when the opportunity presents.

But say Nothing to no-one! She may well get "upset" about someone putting things in her drawers, just keep doing it, when no-one is looking. Oh and then be so extremely polite to her, that she has no reason to suspect you. Even say to her, sarcastic things like "Who on earth could do such a thing?". Cultivate a convincing tone.

Meanwhile get one (or borrow) one of those large cooler Boxes, and keep it under your desk for your personal items.

Some one (well a few really) have driven me up the wall, but when I eventually got my own back, she spontaneously internally combusted, but I was able to play the "oh dear, what a shame, who did that".

I have also wreaked revenge on one of two others, I think they may still remember it. :biggrin::smile::blush::smile:

What is it they say, the quiet ones are always the worst? :ohmy::biggrin:;):ohmy::biggrin:

Top Bottom