Is this beneficial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Since the so-called "big freeze" has hit us, I`ve been playing on the side of safety and not even bothered with the bike while it`s been icy (I`ve learnt that lesson before!!B)), also my garage locks are frozen and I can`t get to it anyway.

Anyhow, doing no exercise was niggling me so I`ve started to hit the gym after work every day, basically just doing 30 mins cross trainer and 30 mins on one of the bikes (both in the same session, sometimes I`ll throw in 10 mins on the rower). I`m thoroughly enjoying it!! The thing is, will this benefit my cycling much, as I was planning on continuing this when I get the bike out again??

Any ideas or opinions would be helpful here:smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
May be good for endurance overall but depends on you fitness anyway-might be good for maintance of endurance and fitness levels but for 30 mins of each - it's not a major improvement. If you wanted to do stuff to improve the cycling - work on the muscles or your cycling technique- when the ice clears up do remember though that you need to give your body a break otherwise you end up tiring yourself and overtraining eps with commute and gym work.

fido

Veteran
Use it as an opportunity to train in a way that differs from the manner in which you usually cycle.

I use the gym to do longish interval work. This might involve hard intervals of 4-5 minutes of hard work using a level of resistance far higher than I normally get whilst out on the bike. Or shorter intervals (up to 30 secs) of all out effort.

It allows for a far more measurable and progressive approach that is not always practical or possible when road riding where you are a bit of a slave to terrain/traffic/layout etc.

Garz

Squat Member
Enjoying + exercise is always good when off the bike. Keep it up till you can resume cycling!

Top Bottom