Is this bike any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kerndog

for a beginner going used is never the best idea and its a long process

sorry to disagree, but I disagree. Im a beginner and I bought a cracker of a second hand bike on ebay for £450. I did a shed load of research to make sure I bought the right bike and I ended up with a nice bike for a good price. It's a 2011 allez sport compact, 18 speed. it had done under 200 miles and had a bunch of stuff with it like cateye wireless speedo, pump etc. anyway good bike for a reasonable price. Surely this applies to bikes that sell for less...

Used Triban 3 anyone?

HovR

Über Member
How about this one? It was £500 and is now £250, real bargain?

Muddyfox Glide Road Bike

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-glide-road-bike-mens-933071

Sports Direct (along with Halfords) are notorious for claiming huge discounts when really there is none. That bike is probably priced at £500 for 1 week a year or so to comply with regulations! It's a step in the right direction (in that it has STI shifters), but all the other components and frame are of questionable quality.

Try to steer away from the Apollo and Muddyfox brands, neither are great. As already mentioned, the cheapest road bike worth buying in your price range is the Triban 3 from Decathlon. Many others are simply not fit for purpose and will begin to fail rapidly. Second hand is really the best way to go in your price range.

If you decide to go second hand, when checking out a bike it's worth considering these things, although the best thing you can do is bring along someone who knows exactly what they're looking for.

• Is the seatpost stuck? Ask the seller to demonstrate raising/lowering it for you.
  • Is the stem stuck? Same as the seatpost, you want to be able to adjust the handlebar height. (This only applies to older Quill style stems).
  • Grab the top of one of the cranks, near the pedal. Try wobbling it from side to side. If there is any play/motion in there that could indicate the need for a new bottom bracket, or at least new bearings for the current one. (I'd imagine you'd get a new BB for around $15 to $30 in the US).
  • Grab the top of the wheel. Again try wobbling it from side to side. If there is any motion in here that could indicate you need at best a hub service, at worst new hubs (although a little bit of flex is OK, you don't want play in the hub bearings). Do this on both wheels.
  • Check for play in the pedals. Any play may mean the require replacing or servicing later down the line.
  • Also check the brake pads and tires for wear.
  • Try to get a ride on the bike, or at least have someone lift the bike up whilst you pedal and change gear to make sure the gears are shifting correctly. If they're a bit clunky then you should be able to fix this with new cables.

HovR

Über Member
You ask, "is it any good?"
To be honest, you don't get anything any good for £145 full stop.

Really? My £88 Peugeot build seems to be doing well enough, been commuting on it since August with no issues. If OP isn't wanting to spend much money at all then a restored retro road bike from a Bicycle co-op/recycling project could be a viable option to get him on the road.

Portableaj

sorry to disagree, but I disagree. Im a beginner and I bought a cracker of a second hand bike on ebay for £450. I did a shed load of research to make sure I bought the right bike and I ended up with a nice bike for a good price. It's a 2011 allez sport compact, 18 speed. it had done under 200 miles and had a bunch of stuff with it like cateye wireless speedo, pump etc. anyway good bike for a reasonable price. Surely this applies to bikes that sell for less...

Used Triban 3 anyone?
if ur lucky which you were you can find a good second hand bike however its not always easy to find a bike in ur size the people who sell the bikes don't always know much about it they could be stolen then u have to check if everything is working as ur a beginner you u should save your self the same and buy a new bike u would be covered over a warranty if there is any problems compared to if u buy used

festival

Über Member
yes you do try 2nd hand
We all have ideas on what constitutes a "good" bike. I would say around £600 buys you a "worthwhile" bike, and £1000 gets you a "good bike"
I would suggest there is a difference between a good bike and a good buy.
You might get a £400 bike 2nd hand in excellent condition for £140, that would be a good buy.

Dirtlover2005

Used Triban 3 anyone?

Yes please - I have a friend looking for one

festival

Über Member
Really? My £88 Peugeot build seems to be doing well enough, been commuting on it since August with no issues. If OP isn't wanting to spend much money at all then a restored retro road bike from a Bicycle co-op/recycling project could be a viable option to get him on the road.

Nothing wrong with doing as you say, but £88 is not going to create a good bike. You may enjoy it, it saves you loads of money, have an emotional attachment to it and your still riding a bike thats a good deal, but its unlikely to be a good bike.

HovR

Über Member
Nothing wrong with doing as you say, but £88 is not going to create a good bike. You may enjoy it, it saves you loads of money, have an emotional attachment to it and your still riding a bike thats a good deal, but its unlikely to be a good bike.

Go on then, why isn't my bike 'good'? :smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
Save your money Shutwai. That thing looks awful.

Second hand could be an option, but take someone who knows what they're looking at, or do your research carefully.

Another reasonable option around the £300 mark is the Carrera TDF.

festival

Über Member
Go on then, why isn't my bike 'good'? :smile:
Good value, good fun, good money saver, good at not attracting attention when locked up in town, good at getting you from a to b without falling apart. good at meeting your expectations.
All these and many more make the bike such a wonderful machine but a good road bike should be light, stiff, comfortable, structurally sound and it should come with components that optimise the performance.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good value, good fun, good money saver, good at not attracting attention when locked up in town, good at getting you from a to b without falling apart. good at meeting your expectations.
All these and many more make the bike such a wonderful machine but a good road bike should be light, stiff, comfortable, structurally sound and it should come with components that optimise the performance.
exactley my point buy 2nd hand

GlenBen

Über Member
Any bike is a good bike if its loved and ridden.

But surely no-one could love that muddyfox.

As has already been said, cheap, usable roadbike, avoiding second hand, leaves you with carrera tdf or the triban 3, and id take the triban everytime.

Top Bottom