Is this bike any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My two pence worth :smile:
The bike looks superb and at that price a relative snip.
You seem to indicate that you are of a certain age when you say "that'll probably have to last me more or less the rest of my cycling days" and one of the reviews says it is a "race geometry".........would you possibly be suited to a more relaxed geometry ?
I had a tripple on my last (stolen) bike and this time went for a double 11-28. Wish I had stuck with tripple and am going to pay £100 for a new 11-32 sprocket.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You seem to indicate that you are of a certain age when you say "that'll probably have to last me more or less the rest of my cycling days" and one of the reviews says it is a "race geometry".........would you possibly be suited to a more relaxed geometry ?
I had a tripple on my last (stolen) bike and this time went for a double 11-28. Wish I had stuck with tripple and am going to pay £100 for a new 11-32 sprocket.

Yes it might be a bit too low down for me? I'm 54 by the way so maybe something a bit more comfy would be better?:smile:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes it might be a bit too low down for me? I'm 54 by the way so maybe something a bit more comfy would be better?:smile:

Have you looked at ribble, Planet X and Dolan for sub 1k carbon?

My stolen bike was a Ribble Sportive carbon and was very relaxed..........so comfy.
My replacement bike is a Giant Defy 2 carbon.........not AS relaxed but still comfy. TBH it was £1800 as against the Ribble £1200 and although they both had 105s it is far more responsive.
Cube do have a reputation for excellent value............is there another Cube model that would suit you ?

vickster

Legendary Member
The peloton is more relaxed, akin to the synapse, defy, roubaix etc

Paulscycles worth a look for the first two ranges

Cyclist33

Sorry to go off topic but... 100 quid for a cassette?!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...uimyfzmaxCQE1KMFX_bMCxoC5kDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

vickster

Legendary Member
Need a new medium cage dérailleur too ?

I ride up most hills slowly on 50/34 at the front, 11-32 on the back. I have the same on all my geared bikes. Tbh my fitness usually gives out before my crap knees so not sure if I'd benefit from a triple, I don't know how the lowest gear would compare

The hills are pretty tame in these parts too compared to those mountains oop North!

Onyer

Arghh! There are so many out there! Paul's don't give descriptions of the bikes(as far as i can see). I've always gone for a triple as i'm sure of buying something that'll get me up steep hills,whereas double chainsets could be hard work.
The gearing at either end is the important bit. So a 34 chainset with 32 cassette will be a very low gear. A 50 chainset with 11 cassette will be a high gear. A triple tends to give more range in the middle rather than extra low (or high) gearing. I moved from a triple to a double without any problems.

Dave7

Legendary Member

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Personally i prefer riding a triple over a compact......not sure what extra moving parts there are and the extra few grammes for the middle ring is not worth worrying about to be honest

Top Bottom