Is this bike lock any good Or am I wasting my time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

I have a cheapo bike ( worth maybe £70 used) its pretty scratched up with a ripped seat but still it's bright red so it still stands out and still looks decent when washed :laugh:
I don't really have a lock and I rarely leave it anywhere anyway,but I want to start commuting with it and it would suck if one day I come back and I don't have a way to get back home.
This is the lock I want to buy ( actually It's free because I have a credit on that site and I only want to get it because it costs me nothing and I need to spend the credit :biggrin: )

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Masterlock-Mlk8228E-3520190941930-1M-X-18Mm-Cable-Blue

I understand its not the cheapest poundshop lock, but still its a cable lock with just some added protection to the cable itself so probably not very good.
Is it worth to get it or am I wasting my time?

s-l1600.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't use it for a whole day, at least not in the UK (you're in Finland IIRC where bike theft may be less of an issue?) Get a Gold secure Abus or Kryptonite D Lock (£50+). That'll be ok if just popping to the shops :smile:

This would be better if you can add ££

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...936936-Security-Kit-Mini-D-Lock-Anchor--Chain

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with @vickster. The armoured cables I've tested have been shoot, with the armouring forced apart with a simple blade to reveal a thinner and not particularly difficult to cut cable inside.

Toughened double sided mid-barrel D lock tops, thick braid-of-braids cables if you won't carry the weight, preferably alarmed if you'll be within earshot. Waffle keys ideally, I keys next. Never O keys and preferably not short ones.

Oh and learn to lock it well: both wheels and frame to something they can't split or lift over or unbolt. Probably an uncut ground anchored cycle parking stand.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use my cheapo self-built singlespeed bike for shopping trips but even for that I thought it was worth buying a more serious lock so I bought this monster ...

OnGuard Brute u-lock.jpg

It isn't thief-proof (no lock is) but a thief would have to be pretty stupid (or desperate) to risk spending a minute or two cutting that lock off in a busy supermarket car park for the sake of a tatty bike worth £70 or so.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The only time I'd use a cable lock would be if the bike was going to remain in my sight for the entire time it was locked up - like popping into a shop or café.
Any other time it would be a D-lock, preferably Sold Secure Gold. Even then they're only a deterrent.

Even D locks can be got off fairly easily. In another thread I mentioned that my Freespirit BSO+ (BSO+ = the quality end of the BSO market! ^_^ ) came out of it's skip pre-accessorized with a locked Squire D-lock attached around it's top and down tubes. Today I decided to remove it, so out came a pair of 30" bolt croppers. I was expecting to struggle, because the shackle diameter was right on the limit of the jaws, but I just did it in 4 or 5 bites, deepening the V in the shackle each time and pushing it deeper into the jaws. It took me no more than a minute and it didn't even make much noise. None of this standing on one handle and dancing about putting all your body weight on the other handle you see in security demo videos either. OK, I'm a good size and fairly strong, but it really wasn't a big deal, and I'd imagine a no-name Chinese cheapo D-lock would have probably been even easier and quicker to defeat. Don't assume that D-locks can't be cut just like chains or cables - they can!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Even D locks can be got off fairly easily. In another thread I mentioned that my Freespirit BSO+ (BSO+ = the quality end of the BSO market! ^_^ ) came out of it's skip pre-accessorized with a locked Squire D-lock attached around it's top and down tubes. Today I decided to remove it, so out came a pair of 30" bolt croppers. I was expecting to struggle, because the shackle diameter was right on the limit of the jaws, but I just did it in 4 or 5 bites, deepening the V in the shackle each time and pushing it deeper into the jaws. It took me no more than a minute and it didn't even make much noise. None of this standing on one handle and dancing about putting all your body weight on the other handle you see in security demo videos either. OK, I'm a good size and fairly strong, but it really wasn't a big deal, and I'd imagine a no-name Chinese cheapo D-lock would have probably been even easier and quicker to defeat. Don't assume that D-locks can't be cut just like chains or cables - they can!

No, I'm under no illusions - like I said they're a deterrent, but if someone has the tools and wants the bike they'll probably get it. But D-locks are about the best deterrent.
That's why I very rarely leave the best bike unattended anywhere, even with a Magnum Gold D-lock - and I'm very wary about where and for how long I lock the others up.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
If you can get the master lock for free then get it, also buy a good lock, 2 locks are better than one, If someone really wants to take your bike they will get it as long as they have time and opportunity but a good lock (or 2) would make your bike harder to take so with any luck may be left alone.

A friend had locked his trailer outside his house it had a wheel clamp, heavy strong chain and a lock over the tow hitch it was still taken, battery powered angle grinder made short work of his locks.

Remember when you leave a bike to remove pump and lights.

Top Bottom