Is this bike lock any good Or am I wasting my time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What is that diameter? Can you tell which Squire lock it was? Not that I rate them much anyway after I needed to get rid of one of their padlocks and it slowed me down about as much but with smaller tools.
I'd say the shackle was around 1/2" diameter, maybe 9/16" at most. I lobbed the remains in the scrap metal bin at work after I got it off so I don't have it to hand for measuring. It was easier to cut than I expected. The bolt croppers just happened to be handy, I thought I'd give them a go first before looking for my angle grinder. In the end, I didn't need it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd say the shackle was around 1/2" diameter, maybe 9/16" at most. I lobbed the remains in the scrap metal bin at work after I got it off so I don't have it to hand for measuring. It was easier to cut than I expected. The bolt croppers just happened to be handy, I thought I'd give them a go first before looking for my angle grinder. In the end, I didn't need it.
OK, thanks. It would have been interesting whether it was even hardened steel, but I can understand throwing it away in disgust!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
OK, thanks. It would have been interesting whether it was even hardened steel, but I can understand throwing it away in disgust!
It appeared to be case hardened, as a test rub with a file didn't make much impression on the surface. My first thought was use a hacksaw, if it had not had any heat treatment. Having realised it had a hard surface, I went for the croppers. Once you can breach the hardening and work on the softer core, it doesn't hold up for long. Steel treatment is always a trade off. You can make steels very hard by increasing the carbon content, but then they become brittle and vulnerable to being smashed apart especially when at a very low temperature. What you really want is toughness, by alloying the basic steel with other things like Vanadium. This puts the cost up, which is why a high quality set of spanners costs a lot more than cheapo ones.

A1kc

I wouldn't use it for a whole day, at least not in the UK (you're in Finland IIRC where bike theft may be less of an issue?) Get a Gold secure Abus or Kryptonite D Lock (£50+). That'll be ok if just popping to the shops :smile:

This would be better if you can add ££

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...936936-Security-Kit-Mini-D-Lock-Anchor--Chain
Sorry, don't understand your post vickster.

Why do you consider that better than the £50 plus d locks you mentioned,? And what do you mean by "add pounds", it seems to be cheaper.

Top Bottom