Is this bike too big for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Should it be an awkward event to stop and get on the bike?
No but you don't get on the seat and start pedalling. You start straddling the crossbar, one pedal up, push and lift your arse onto the seat. When you stop you come off the seat one pedal up, foot on and one foot down on the ground bike leaning that way. If you're coming from a BMX background this is something you'll have to teach yourself, it's how we all do it bit it's perhaps not quite as instinctive as we imagine, doesn't take long to master though.

OP
OP
M

Madoser

Not especially. Maybe find one with a sloping top tube if there’s not a smaller model

I appreciate your advice.

CXRAndy

Guru
The bike looks fine for size. Ive never had a bike where I could put feet down whilst on saddle. I always stop and slide off saddle and stand over slightly leaning bike to the left. learn to master stopping and dismounting from saddle at the same time

. Ive never had a bike where I could put feet down whilst on saddle. e
Agree, though have known one or two nervous new cyclists who seemed to have the idea that you should be able to do. Difficult to me to see how you could manage that without having the saddle too low and threatening your knees. Important to be able to stand over the bar of course to preserve your bits, but sloping top tubes can help.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Agree, though have known one or two nervous new cyclists who seemed to have the idea that you should be able to do. Difficult to me to see how you could manage that without having the saddle too low and threatening your knees.

I see loads of ill-fitting bikes, and the more towards the BSO end of the spectrum a bike is, the more likely that it will be grossly ill-fitted to the rider. You rarely see an expensive bike owned by a roadie or pannier-laden tourist that looks horribly set up, but you do very often see this with cheap MTB's and hybrids used as casual/commuting rides.

Assume you are thinking of bso folk peddling with their knees sticking out sideways?

Must admit that when I saw you had posted I feared it was to condemn the sloping top tube :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Assume you are thinking of bso folk peddling with their knees sticking out sideways?

Yes those are the ones. They never seem to bother to change gear either, so they might as well just ride a single speed.

Must admit that when I saw you had posted I feared it was to condemn the sloping top tube :smile:

I'm not a huge fan of the fashion for sloping top tubes, I'll freely admit - but it does depend how much of a slope. A few degrees is generally not too visually offensive but a lot of modern designs have just got very ugly geometry. The OP's bike seems to have very little or no slope in the top tube. Drop bars should absolutely never be mixed with sloping top tubes. Its just wrong.

netman

Veteran
Nice bike! Don't over-think it, you'll quickly get used to leaning it slightly to get on or off... just ride it lots! Oh, and drop that stem a couple of inches eh?!

OP
OP
M

Madoser

4DF04FB9-668F-44D4-BE64-4BBC181E76D0.png
I guess everyone says it’s fine. I rode a bike that wasn’t so up in my business that I liked. Which was the Creme caferacer uno. It didn’t have disc brakes but I had a coaster. I did check out a giant bike with a slight slope in it and it seemed to make a tangible difference.

Top Bottom