Is this bike too big for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
You mean the handle bars?

No he means the vertical bit in the middle. Leave it alone and just ride it. One you've been using the bike for a few months, if you then fancy something a bit quicker, or more rugged then change or get another bike.

OP
OP
M

Madoser

No he means the vertical bit in the middle. Leave it alone and just ride it. One you've been using the bike for a few months, if you then fancy something a bit quicker, or more rugged then change or get another bike.

Well as much as I’d like that I’m not exactly rich unfortunately.

Thanks I will look. It felt ok to ride it.
It may be fine . It is just that another member pointed it out which made me also question it . There should be a line engraved on the stem which you shouldn't go beyond . There is a bolt on top of the stem which you loosen and then tap downwards in order to loosen the expander. That is if you need to lower it .

What are you going to use it for, just riding or a specific task, commuting, touring etc...it might have a bearing on how you set the bike up in terms of reach and bar height. You don't need to stick with those bars or stem and changing those things will have an impact on position, comfort and even speed.

For example I had a bike with similar bars which I gave to my son. We changed the bars to straight bars, lower with a longer stem, giving him a more aggressive and streamlined position for commuting, also narrower for weaving through traffic.

There's a lot you can change on a bike to suit you better but ride it first and consider it all.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looking at the spec of the Raleigh on your other thread it comes with 45mm wide tyres :eek: a pair of 32s or even 28s would drop the height of the crossbar by 1/2 inch or more that's 13 or 17mm (1/2" or 11/16") not to mention lowering the gearing by a bit too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it passes the Victor Silvester test then it will be fine.
I should explain that Victor Silvester was a British bandleader with a ballroom orchestra in the fifties/sixties.

320x0w.jpg

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
I cant touch the floor if im sat on any of my bikes, that looks fine
In the first picture the OP is not on the saddle - I think the issue is that even when he is not on the saddle there is not much room - as I said earlier in the thread I had a frame of similar size in relation to the family jewels, and it was fine, but a little unsettling on occasion.

OP
OP
M

Madoser

What are you going to use it for, just riding or a specific task, commuting, touring etc...it might have a bearing on how you set the bike up in terms of reach and bar height. You don't need to stick with those bars or stem and changing those things will have an impact on position, comfort and even speed.

For example I had a bike with similar bars which I gave to my son. We changed the bars to straight bars, lower with a longer stem, giving him a more aggressive and streamlined position for commuting, also narrower for weaving through traffic.

There's a lot you can change on a bike to suit you better but ride it first and consider it all.

Just riding the chore line. Cruising around. I just want to buy something and have it fit and ride it.

OP
OP
M

Madoser

In the first picture the OP is not on the saddle - I think the issue is that even when he is not on the saddle there is not much room - as I said earlier in the thread I had a frame of similar size in relation to the family jewels, and it was fine, but a little unsettling on occasion.

It’s like when you get shoes or a jacket too big. I can wear them but there is always some annoyance. I’m not sure that is worth a discount.

Top Bottom