Is this bike worth it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Make sure whatever you get has clearance for studded tyres if you have to ride on ice!
I don’t go out if there’s any hint of frost or ice (usually I avoid anything under 5deg as a leisure not commuter or utility rider)

I have no choice it’s my only means of getting to work :-(

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have no choice it’s my only means of getting to work :-(

Definitely studded tyres then...

I gave up riding in icy conditions after crashing 3 times in less than an hour one winter.

I broke my rule 25 years on and went out when there might be ice around... There WAS and I found it - BANG - down again! :wacko:

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

Definitely studded tyres then...

I gave up riding in icy conditions after crashing 3 times in less than an hour one winter.

I broke my rule 25 years on and went out when there might be ice around... There WAS and I found it - BANG - down again! :wacko:

Oh dear lol well it’s deffo gonna happen to me that I can guarantee 👍

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh dear lol well it’s deffo gonna happen to me that I can guarantee 👍

I was lucky and got away with bruises and a scratched bike. A former colleague wasn't so lucky when he came off - he broke a hip or fractured his pelvis (I can't remember which; it was over 30 years and he died a few years ago so I can't ask him)... Buy those studded tyres! :okay:

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

I was lucky and got away with bruises and a scratched bike. A former colleague wasn't so lucky when he came off - he broke a hip or fractured his pelvis (I can't remember which; it was over 30 years and he died a few years ago so I can't ask him)... Buy those studded tyres! :okay:

I will for sure 👍

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my commuter can take a max of 32s with no mudgaurds , 28s are the happiest medium so i have to be careful .I haven't fallen on ice for a couple of years now although last winter i missed completely due to another injury ;)
If like me you have to ride in all conditions just be careful and take it easier especially on spots you know can be prone to ice .

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

my commuter can take a max of 32s with no mudgaurds , 28s are the happiest medium so i have to be careful .I haven't fallen on ice for a couple of years now although last winter i missed completely due to another injury ;)
If like me you have to ride in all conditions just be careful and take it easier especially on spots you know can be prone to ice .

Would you buy spiked tyres ?? Been looking them up and they seem the best way forward ?

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd make 2 points :

The advert, highlighted above, talks about tubular wheels - fine for cyclo-cross, totally impractical for a commuter bike.

How many people have commutes that would require spiked tyres in winter? If there's that much snow or ice about then don't cycle. There can't be many commutes that encounter these conditions more than once or twice a year and the folks in these areas will know how to handle the conditions.

Top Bottom