Is this bike worth it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

So you’re about 5’8 assuming that’s the top tube?
I currently have a 52cm from centre of crank to seat post it’s a tiny bit to small so a 53/54 should be fine
5’7 yes 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That Ribble should be okay for you. I should go and inspect it and try it out. Check particularly for any crash damage on the frame/forks. The geometry is quite aggressive so you can find out it that suits you.

Checked it out and condition wasn’t great :-( oh well lol

Probably a CX bike used as intended! Are you planning on using for cyclocross? Maybe a gravel bike makes sense if not, the lighter carbon ones cost a fair bit, but worth every penny imho just for the variety of terrain they can cover and still very good on road.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ah, the delights of buying in the second hand market. Never mind there are plenty more out there.
I bought a 2007 Trek road bike here and although it was poor cosmetically I made a decent bike out of it.
If you don't want the hassle buy one of the budget bikes previously suggested, at least you have a warranty and help if anything goes wrong, plus you can swap out anything you don't like or is not up to scratch, like the tyres, which inevitably will have poor puncture resistance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably a CX bike used as intended! Are you planning on using for cyclocross? Maybe a gravel bike makes sense if not, the lighter carbon ones cost a fair bit, but worth every penny imho just for the variety of terrain they can cover and still very good on road.

Think he just wants a winter bike

OP
OP
Suddabym

Suddabym

I won’t be doing much cycle cross but I think a gravel would be ideal for winter if we get snow and we will deffo get ice

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure whatever you get has clearance for studded tyres if you have to ride on ice!
I don’t go out if there’s any hint of frost or ice (usually I avoid anything under 5deg as a leisure not commuter or utility rider)

Top Bottom