Is this chain too short?

Is this chain too short?

• Yes

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I have a habit of over-shortening chains. :rolleyes:

There's still a couple of inches of upwards movement in the mech when it's on the big ring, but I'm guessing the chain will wear faster if it's this short, probably the mech, too... I suppose I should put a couple of links back in. I haven't ridden the bike yet so I should probably do it while everything is clean.

IMAG3728.jpg

If there is still movement in the mech with the bike in that ratio, I'd say it's fine, possibly not ideal / best practice, but it should still work fine. If there is any reticence of the chain to get into the lower gears, then maybe think about re-lengthening the chain. I tend to find that a 116 link chain works fine, with a medium or long cage mech, right up to 53-30, with plenty of travel left in the mech. The angle of dangle might need adjustments, on the granny ring particularly, but I've not had any real issues.

Too short by a good few links. Is that a clutch mech on the back? Running a 1by10 might require some compromise actually, so I'd be inclined to wait for someone who's got one to offer an opinion, like @Ffoeg or @Cubist

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a habit of over-shortening chains. :rolleyes:

There's still a couple of inches of upwards movement in the mech when it's on the big ring, but I'm guessing the chain will wear faster if it's this short, probably the mech, too... I suppose I should put a couple of links back in. I haven't ridden the bike yet so I should probably do it while everything is clean.

View attachment 337617
What does it look like in top.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Is that a new chain fitted? It looks very clean. If so add 2 links, possibly 3. Not ideal but you might need to add more than one quick link if it is a fancy chain.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It is a brand new chain; I have Shimano joining pins if the consensus is that I need to put a pitch back in, but opinions seem divided so far (although this isn't reflected in the voting results!)...

U

User33236

Too short imho. I've got a 1x11 and the RD sits a good bit further back in top but still has plenty of spring in it.

Top Bottom