Is this chainstay crack repairable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trull

Trull

Über Member
That crack can be repaired. There are many companies that will make that as good as new. I'm really surprised that a Dawes would fail like that. I would also expect them to respond positively to a query. Given the number of miles, I would hope they would fix it, if not under warranty, then at least at a fair price. Good luck and keep us updated.

Dawes said - Warranty is 5 years so we are sorry. Please send us photos for engineering to examine.

Dawes said - Warranty is 5 years so we are sorry. Please send us photos for engineering to examine.

Why would you help them out with pics if they aren't prepared to help you ?

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Why would you help them out with pics if they aren't prepared to help you ?
One: to help them to not do this to the next guy.

Two: because if it is a manufacturing defect they should come clean and help the customer out even if its outside of warranty.

I’ve used to be the guy in charge of product quality and failure analysis for a division of a large automotive company. I loved getting stuff like this back as it helped us improve our products and reduce complaints and warranty costs. It would not be unusual for us to do something nice for a customer if the product was marginal but the warranty was up.

I once saw a customer receive a new set of camshafts and followers for an engine that was a decade out of warranty. The mileage was exceptionally low and the motorcycle very clean. The cams were soft, a manufacturing defect, so the manufacturer gave the customer all of the required parts when they caught wind of the issue from the dealer.

Some manufacturers really do stand solidly behind their products.

Others do not... not to mention any names... Kawasaki...

Top Bottom