Is this chainstay crack repairable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trull

Trull

Über Member
Never mind the crack (frame is scrap IMO as none of the other tubes can be trusted to be any/much better), what about the chain? Are you lubricating it with used engine oil from an old transit van?

Its ceramic lube - it naturally goes black as the boron nitride reacts and places itself into any rough nano-surface defects to form a smooth layer similar to graphite but with a higher pressure rating. But, also I had taken the wheel off to do a clean, so that was it at its dirtiest.

OP
OP
Trull

Trull

Über Member
Its double butted drawn tube, not rolled and then seam welded. I am coming to the conclusion that I should try to find a suitable steed in a nice grade of stainless steel which will allow the Ultegra jewellery to be transplanted across with the fork and wheelset. I'm really gutted it has ended like this, but also grateful it didnt die when I had achieved terminal velocity going down the Cairn O'Mount!
Its ride quality was sublime, as smooth as my '88 SPD Raleigh Randonneur, but with a much stiffer BB. Lots of people cooed over it, as the paint job was excellent. So I will miss her.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Its ceramic lube - it naturally goes black as the boron nitride reacts and places itself into any rough nano-surface defects to form a smooth layer similar to graphite but with a higher pressure rating. But, also I had taken the wheel off to do a clean, so that was it at its dirtiest.
Did you read that straight off the packet? :tongue:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Its double butted drawn tube, not rolled and then seam welded.

Are you sure? I suspect the evidence suggests otherwise, and what you are actually in possession of is a frame with the main tubes you describe but seam welded minor tubes.

EDIT: This is not necessarily a criticism, but it is a common ploy of most major manufacturers to keep costs down and no reason to suspect it is not also done by the smaller producers to simplify production and deliver a frame at a feasible price that can actually be sold.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
It was a £3k machine when I bought it... not a fleabay special, from a well respected brand based in Birmingham :-)

Out of interest why not name the manufacturer?

Or get in touch with them to see if they would repair?

Good luck regardless with outcomes

OP
OP
Trull

Trull

Über Member
Okay that's a fair point - it was a Dawes 3IMA ti, 2015 specification, thusly:

Attachments

• dawes3imanadtorc.jpg
    dawes3imanadtorc.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I had a crack in my Ti frame repaired - they basically replaced both chainstays (crack in one prob following a rather nasty fall) - got it fixed by Enigma - ring them - and ask. Looks like your frame will need the same. I was very happy and overall service and have done a few thousand k on it since (its my summer bike).

ExBrit

Über Member
That crack can be repaired. There are many companies that will make that as good as new. I'm really surprised that a Dawes would fail like that. I would also expect them to respond positively to a query. Given the number of miles, I would hope they would fix it, if not under warranty, then at least at a fair price. Good luck and keep us updated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

No it doesn't go black, thats dirt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a crack in my Ti frame repaired - they basically replaced both chainstays (crack in one prob following a rather nasty fall) - got it fixed by Enigma - ring them - and ask. Looks like your frame will need the same. I was very happy and overall service and have done a few thousand k on it since (its my summer bike).

This, new tubes, not cheap.

Top Bottom