Is this email okay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've had an incident very similar to Gaz' video - in broad daylight and the lady driver was definitely using a hand-held phone and failed to spot traffic slowing down. I've no problem with pointing out loudly to all around when I see a driver on the phone. I've even been known to give a blast on the horn if I see this when I'm driving.

Keep up the good work, Matthew. Just don't get too up close & personal with anybody.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I need to make this clear: Neither I or the driver had a bad attitude about the situation. He might have not cared, but neither did I. I only pointed out to him that it was illegal. I did not go up to his window and start shouting at him.

I only mentioned something because I was in front of him (slotted in after filtering) and I didnt want him to run into the back of me like in Gaz's video.

Reactions: gaz

RedRider

Pulling through
i thought people used cycle cams in case they had an accident - not to film people as they rode their bikes and reported every incident they recorded - plus isn't it against the law to film somebody without them knowing in the first place - unless your doing police or HMRC surveillance

some of you people need to get a grip and just go out and enjoy riding your bike, instead of trying to find reason's to film people and posting them on youtube

Agree. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a cycle shoe stamping on a human face—forever.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think we have done this post to death and will have to agree to disagree.

Matthew, we can see that you were both polite BUT please learn that it is not your job to point out others discretions. A polite point or shake of the hand can lead to this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG-cLftQ9Xw

You have no idea how some nutter will take your polite action.

Steve

So we shouldn't even shake our heads now? Gosh!

boydj

Legendary Member
Steve, who's going to stand up for cyclists if we don't do it for ourselves? Many drivers are unaware that they've caused a problem for a cyclist. They'll never learn if they're not told. A small minority of drivers deliberately cut up cyclists - they should get some comeback if there's a chance to do so. Often you don't know which is which when it happens - so a polite explanation should suffice.

So we shouldn't even shake our heads now? Gosh!

Steve, who's going to stand up for cyclists if we don't do it for ourselves? Many drivers are unaware that they've caused a problem for a cyclist. They'll never learn if they're not told. A small minority of drivers deliberately cut up cyclists - they should get some comeback if there's a chance to do so. Often you don't know which is which when it happens - so a polite explanation should suffice.

To both of these posts, both of them from thoughtful and serious members: Yes, there will be times when some words or gesturing may be called for. I've done it myself and am likely to do it again. I don't think SteveinDenmark is saying cyclists shouldn't even shake their heads, even if the implication may have appeared to be present.

However, I'm not sure that the actions of the OP were 'standing up for cyclists'. There are ways and ways. As a cyclist, I do not want to see Videocam Vigilantes pointing out every little slip and somehow riling motorists over what really appears a terribly minor thing.

I prefer to see road users as road users and find it hard to separate 'cyclists' from 'motorists'. Nonetheless, there are times when a chasm appears to dig itself and either the driver in me is exasperated by a cyclist or my inner cyclist is vexed by a motorist.

If there are points to be made, a rider would do well to pick his or her battles with care. I think the 'non-confrontational confrontation' in the OP was ill-chosen.

It weakens the impact of raising more serious issues and it leaves the motorist (and probably some Youtube viewers) querying the motives and sense of proportion of ALL helmetcammers. Is this what we want?

boydj

Legendary Member
Boris, I think the OP had little to do with cyclists pulling up errant drivers - though the thread has drifted into that area. It's about how some road users react to obviously bad or dangerous behaviour of other road users. Signifying disapproval of illegal behaviour is the only way that the behaviour is going to become socially unacceptable - if only more people would visibly express that disapproval.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What I am trying to say is that it is not a good idea to confront other road users. I have yet to see any good in an instance where a cyclist has told a motorist the error of their ways. Will the mobile phone man stop using his phone now Matthew has pointed out it is illegal? Of course not. Will the white van man stop looking at his delivery notes and reading his A to Z as he drives along..no. Will the builder stop drinking his morning coffee while driving to work...no. They all know what they are doing is illegal but they also think it is sod all to do with the guy on a bike. You will not change WHAT they do while they are driving.

Changing their actual driving is a whole different ball game.

Steve

Top Bottom