Is this good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

vernon said:
Inumerate too Bonj?

One rider - two examples.

Furthermore they are well known examples reinforcing the suspicion that Bonj's cycling knowlege is somewhat limited.

There is nothing wrong with the steel mixte framed bike. It will do the job. It is affordable and is cheaper than the inferior alternatives proposed by Bonj. Should the frame fail it is likely to be repairable by someone skilled at brazing or gas welding. Frame failure however is a red herring. It can happen, I've experienced it and it wasn't a catasrophe as far as having to abandon my tour was concerned.

The pros and cons of frame materials can be discussed until the cows come home but I'm prepared to let Bonj believe aluminium is the material of choice if only to shut him up.

still doesn't change the fact that the ebay bike is being sold largely because it's had it...
It's exactly what I thought when i bought the puch clubman: "Can do it up!" "Won't need much spending on it!" It never works out like that!

bonj2

vernon said:
Inumerate too Bonj?

One rider - two examples.

Furthermore they are well known examples reinforcing the suspicion that Bonj's cycling knowlege is somewhat limited.

There is nothing wrong with the steel mixte framed bike. It will do the job. It is affordable and is cheaper than the inferior alternatives proposed by Bonj. Should the frame fail it is likely to be repairable by someone skilled at brazing or gas welding. Frame failure however is a red herring. It can happen, I've experienced it and it wasn't a catasrophe as far as having to abandon my tour was concerned.

The pros and cons of frame materials can be discussed until the cows come home but I'm prepared to let Bonj believe aluminium is the material of choice if only to shut him up.

well known if you're VERY old, maybe.

Abitrary

MarkF said:
I remember Bonj banging on about mudguards in a previous thread

Funnily enough, I always equate Bonj with mudguards too... to the point that I often question them and often leave them off if it's a split second decision

U

User482

bonj said:
Ease of repair - dealt with above.
Comfort - who's to say that old bike on ebay's going to be particularly comfy? A comfortable bike is one that's the right shape and the right saddle, that's different for everyone.

Steel frame invariably provide more comfort than alu frames, at the expense of some stiffness and weight. It's horses for courses, and so for touring steel is the best choice. Steel can also be welded by any back street motor garage - try doing that on alu and see what happens.

Well if it was the mech hanger itself that broke, that isn't part of the frame is it. What are you trying to say will happen if you do that on an aluminium frame? that it will break? :tongue:
how do they bend mech hangers back in LBSs then, I've known them do it perfectly satisfactorily on an alu frame.

Bending aluminium weakens the metal, and it is also very prone to fracturing. Steel isn't. If the alu frame has a replaceable hanger, if that breaks, you're still screwed unless you carry a spare.

like I keep saying, why is having done it a precursor to being able to offer advice on it?

You really can't see why in this case, advice from people who have done a LEJOG is worth more than advice from those who haven't? Having ridden carbon and alu bikes without mudguards thousands of times, I can safely say I would never use one for a LEJOG. It would be better to stay out of subjects you so obviously know nothing about.

U

User482

bonj said:
oh well,in those days, maybe, when they weren't sponsored and could just get another bike...

So let's see.

Was I sponsored for my LEJOG? Only for charity.
Could I just get another bike from my support car? I had no support car.

bonj2

User482 said:
Steel frame invariably provide more comfort than alu frames blah blah blah
I've ridden a steel bike, and it was VERY uncomfy. Largely because it had a plastic saddle, the bottom bracket was ****ed, and probably several other reasons. I didn't think 'oh, it doesn't matter about the crap saddle, 'cos the steel frame is soaking up all the bumps', 'cos that didn't/doesn't happen. I fail to see how frame material is anything to do with comfort.

User482 said:
Steel can also be welded by any back street motor garage - try doing that on alu and see what happens.
Again, I fail to see why this is necessary. If your answer is 'well eventually it'll break', then I would say I don't really want to lug around the extra weight for 10 years just so when/if it breaks it can be welded back together. When i've had a bike long enough for it to break, i'll probably be glad of an excuse to get a new one.
I'm pretty sure it will only be a temporary fix anyway as even a steel weld needs to be heat-treated for a good, long lasting join.

User482 said:
Bending aluminium weakens the metal, and it is also very prone to fracturing. Steel isn't. If the alu frame has a replaceable hanger, if that breaks, you're still screwed unless you carry a spare.
I think you're far, far overestimating the likeliness of a metal part actually snapping or bending on a ride or tour. Or maybe you're just pretending that it's likely in order to lend some credence to your theory that the advantages of steel are significant...

User482 said:
You really can't see why in this case, advice from people who have done a LEJOG is worth more than advice from those who haven't?
Possibly worth slightly more, but not the only worth, i.e. advice from people who haven't done it but are still experienced cyclists is still worth something.

User482 said:
Having ridden carbon and alu bikes without mudguards thousands of times, I can safely say I would never use one for a LEJOG. It would be better to stay out of subjects you so obviously know nothing about.
see Mark F's post. Confirms all my suspicions about mudguards.

bonj2

User482 said:
So let's see.

Was I sponsored for my LEJOG? Only for charity.
Could I just get another bike from my support car? I had no support car.
I was actually talking about the TdF in the pre-1920s, when one bloke stopped at a farm.
Did you actually have to weld a broken bike on the LEJOG?

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Funnily enough, I always equate Bonj with mudguards too... to the point that I often question them and often leave them off if it's a split second decision

I'm touched.

Top Bottom