Is this good?

Kathy

New Member
Hello,
I've just decided to ride from John oGroats to Lands End next summer to raise money for a charity and I've been looking for a bike. It's been 30 years since I last rode a bike and I know absolutely nothing about them. I also have very little money to spend on this adventure so I'm looking for something seconhand. I found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Touring-cycle-with-Mixte-unisex-20-frame_W0QQitemZ120203928818QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
on ebay and would like to ask your advise as to whether or not this is a good buy and also what questions I should ask the seller.
Kathy.
 
What a fantastic NY resolution!!! Brilliant idea.

I know very little about the technicalities of bikes as well. I've not heard of Revell at all, so maybe try google searching and get some reviews if you can find them. I'd personally be nervous of a brand I hadn't heard of...although I'm a bit cautious like that.

Second hand can be brill though - I got a secondhand tourer this summer and it was the bargain of my life, so don't worry about that. Maybe try bike shops in your area that do second hand bikes. Maybe a bit safer than Ebay? Or...go and see the Revell and take it to a local bike shop there to get it checked and valued?
 
Things to ask 1) when did it last have a service 2) what was done in the service 3) how old is the chain, tyres ....

If the chain is old do not get it as you will be looking at £10 ish for a chain, Block £15, labour £10 upto £20, Tyres £10 up words each.


The thing is which bike do you have now?
 

Brock

Senior Member
Location
Kent
Looks pretty good to me for the buy it now price, even if you do find it needs a service and a part or two at the local bike shop.
Do you know it's a good size for you?
 
I've heard of Revell but I can't remember too much about them. It's a 531 frame which is a good start, no doubt you'll need to add a bit to the purchase price to change things to suit like saddle and stuff but 531, Tiagra 21 speed STI's (recent upgrade), a rack and panniers, full mudguards, looks clean and I think it's a good price - the Mixte frame won't make it popular which is probably why the price is good but that shouldn't put 'you' off it.

It looks good to me
 

Brock

Senior Member
Location
Kent
I quite like that style of frame with the extra stays, makes it look more robust and suitable for touring than standard step throughs.




Oh I see, it's called a 'mixte' frame is it?
;)
 

xilios

Veteran
Location
Maastricht, NL
Cathryn said:
Maybe try bike shops in your area that do second hand bikes. Maybe a bit safer than Ebay?
I agree with Cathryn above.
I got my bike 2nd hand from a bike shop and they gave it a complete service in the price.
But than again we spent the same amount on my wifes new Trek 7.2fx.
I would not bother with ebay, especially if you don't know much about bikes. Do some research first so you know what to look for and than go to your LBS and ask them for a used or new bike in the price range you want.
cheers ;)
 

Bigtallfatbloke

New Member
My opinion FWIW would be to think longer term than just the end to end thing. If you do that I bet you'll be hooked and looking to do longer tours more often as well, as such a quality bike is going to be a must & likely money well spent....also getting the thing set up right is crucial on a long ride....then again the ebay machine might just still have a lifetime of miles in it...dunno...but i suspect we get what we pay for in bikes just tas we do in other things.
 

John Ponting

Veteran
Location
Herts
Brock said:
Oh I see, it's called a 'mixte' frame is it?
;)

They were reasonably popular around the early '80s. My wife had a Raleigh mixte in 531 with Stronglite kit - only passed it on to somebody last summer. At the time I had a similar spec Raleigh Clubman and the mixte was bought as a "terry & june".
 

yenrod

Guest
Kathy said:
Hello,
I've just decided to ride from John oGroats to Lands End next summer to raise money for a charity and I've been looking for a bike. It's been 30 years since I last rode a bike and I know absolutely nothing about them. I also have very little money to spend on this adventure so I'm looking for something seconhand. I found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Touring-cycle-with-Mixte-unisex-20-frame_W0QQitemZ120203928818QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
on ebay and would like to ask your advise as to whether or not this is a good buy and also what questions I should ask the seller.
Kathy.
ALL THE BEST ! ;) - by god youll need it...
 

andygates

New Member
I remember Revell. They were one of the respray houses back in the 80s, and did some frames too, IIRC.

One of the expensive worries with secondhand bikes is worn gear bits - this has been replaced so that ought to be OK.

Having said that, unless it's bobbins-cheap, I never buy a bike without putting my bum on the seat.
 
Top Bottom