Is this rim a write-off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Trying to true my back wheel for a minor kink, I found there's actually a small flat spot, and a very small ridge, or ripple - don't know how best to describe it - on one side of the rim itself. Got the wheel true enough so no rubbing on the brakes, but at the expense of some fairly slack spokes in that area, so it's not good.
Anyway my question is - if there is a deformation however small on the outside of the rim, is it always going to be write-off or might a good wheel-builder at a LBS be able to save it?

The ridge is small enough that I missed it at first, but shows up clearly under a strong light, and now I know it's there I can feel it with my finger.

Manonabike

Über Member
Picture?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
problem area just to the right of the camera flash
IMG_9669.JPG

400bhp

Guru
That looks similar to a wheel I ditched after going over a rather large pothole. I couldn't get the spokes to tighten around the kink.

It was a commuting front wheel and I didn't want to take the risk.

Gary E

Veteran
Ouch, I'd definitely be getting rid of that. Even if it runs OK now that's a definite weak point waiting to give up on you the first time it's stressed.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
It's annoying as it's less than a year old. It's on a back wheel, probably from a pothole incident that damaged my front wheel beyond repair - the thumping was so bad on the front that I didn't at first notice the smaller irregularity at the back.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Its dead. Bin it.

Agree.

I wouldn't consider that a minor kink, it is pretty bad and you won't get it out. Buy a new rim and have the wheel rebuilt (or a new wheel if it is a cheapy).

Manonabike

Über Member
Agree.

I wouldn't consider that a minor kink, it is pretty bad and you won't get it out. Buy a new rim and have the wheel rebuilt (or a new wheel if it is a cheapy).

I'd go along with that. If the spokes are ok and you are happy with the hub then get a new rim. A good commuting rim will set cost you £25 - £35 plus the rebuild, maybe £20 - £30.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Now's a good opportunity to learn some basic wheelbuilding skills. Buy a new rim and tape it alongside the old then transfer the spokes over one by one. Then it's a simple matter of tensioning it up while keeping an eye on the dish - you can make a simple dishing gauge out of a piece of batten with screws through at each end and the middle, which you set to the correct depth so as to ensure the rim is centred on the axle. If you mess it up you can always hand it to a professional to finish off for you.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Now's a good opportunity to learn some basic wheelbuilding skills. Buy a new rim and tape it alongside the old then transfer the spokes over one by one. Then it's a simple matter of tensioning it up while keeping an eye on the dish - you can make a simple dishing gauge out of a piece of batten with screws through at each end and the middle, which you set to the correct depth so as to ensure the rim is centred on the axle. If you mess it up you can always hand it to a professional to finish off for you.

I like the idea and have thought about it - in fact you've answered my question about 'how do I keep the new rim in place until I've got enough spokes in it?'. Nonetheless I'm getting a bit impatient and have got a big ride coming up soon, and I can see a do-it-myself job dragging on over a couple of weekends by the time I include 'learning time' and the inevitable trip to the LBS for final truing when it's still not quite right.... So I think I'll have to keep that aside as a project and throw money at the problem for now.

Don't know if anyone has used Rutland Cycling's online sales. Their 105 hub+Mavic open pro rear wheel is selling for £94, which compares well to the cost of a new rim + rebuild (£70 to £80 in all), plus which I get a brand new hub to replace my 10 year-old one (still in good working order though). This is the link :http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23364...mano-105-Built-Onto-Mavic-Open-Pro---32H.html

If anyone's used them or has any feedback I'd be grateful to know.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A 105 hub, Open Pro rim with 32 spokes is going to be a good workhorse wheel. You can always buy this and then carry out the rebuild project with less haste for a learning process later.

Top Bottom