is this the daftest fleabay auction ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

westofsouth

"ghastly old Bluemels pumps"
Please excuse my ignorance (as a relative newbie), but what exactly was the problem with these pumps?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
There's no accounting for what some of the retro/vintage gear goes for, but the lunacy doesn't end there.

I've been compiling a toolkit lately and have seen plenty of second-hand items go for more on Ebay than they do new from CRC etc.

First thing I do with a potential Ebay purchase is search the "real world".

westofsouth

Please excuse my ignorance (as a relative newbie), but what exactly was the problem with these pumps?
I've now had time to research the answer to my own question (bit sad - I know).
These pumps don't work well with Schraeder or Presta - unscrewing the coupling spills too much air. They were intended to be used with a Woods valve, which has a non-return internal preventing air loss when de-coupling.
Also, the flexi coupling itself may leak (if of poor quality, which they often are, if of recent manufacture) where the rubber tube is crimped to the end fittings.
Apparently, then, if you have the right type of tyre valves and a quality pump of this type, then 100psi should be possible ;-)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They were hard work and only any good for a relatively low pressure tyre, a decent mini pump would comfortably out perform them. The flexible connector would only take a limited amount before it split and left you stranded.

As long ago as the mid sixties no serious cyclist would carry one of those, they were reserved for upright utility bikes and kid's "racers".

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-N...s_SR&hash=item337024277e#ht_500wt_1202[/quote
I saw that listed the other day when it was running as an auction, bids had hit the £60 mark but evidently it didn't meet its reserve price. Wonder what happened to the "beautiful vintage French lightweight racer" it came off? :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er.... I carry a shorter plastic version of that pump in my mountain bike back pack; it must have cost around £1.75, I've had it for years, I carry both types of connector and I've lost count of the number of times it has come to the aid of some poor sap struggling to inflate a 2.2 inch tyre with a mini pump in the dark, in the wind and in the rain. Curiously all the "repair gang" arguments about whose pump is the best seem to dissolve when my Bluemells appears and the pumper takes it gratefully.

(Where's Fnaar?)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
we had a quinny buzz pram/pushchair with pneumatic tyres that came with a little pump like that. it was shite, but it was the only thing that pumped the tyres up until i changed the tubes for ones where the valves stuck out to enable the use of a proper pump.

the pump, and its hose, went in the wheely bin…

Top Bottom