Is this the driver of the car's fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You wait - someone will start speculation that she was riding an illegal e-bike ...

TBH it didn;t look like an e-bike of any kind to me (or course you can;t easily tell - but........)

and it is fairly irrelevant as any fit and experienced road biker can easily pass me when I am doing 15-16 mph on my ebike

and often do

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone that thinks an EAPC is in any way quick is a very slow rider themselves. These tales people trot out of buying a legal ebike and suddenly burning other riders off all over the shop are utter guff.

icowden

Veteran
I still can't get over the year in prison bit! Maybe the judge that day was a keen cyclist/slight anti motorist, or maybe the driver said or did something in court to seriously pee him off. 🤔
Nope. He was charged with the new offence of Causing serious injury by careless or inconsiderate driving.
The Judge decided that that either (a) this was just below the threshold for dangerous driving or |(b) constituted something that arose from a brief distraction, tiredness, unsafe manoeuvre etc.

Because of the cyclists injuries, he would have been looking at Harm Category 1 and not 2.

Harm 1 A starting point is 1 years custody.
Harm 1 B starting point is 26 weeks custody.

If it was B, the chap may have previous driving convictions. Another aggravating factor is that the victim was a vulnerable road user (cyclist). There may also have been mitigating factors such as good driving record, no previous, offence due to inexperience.

I would guess that the Judge / Magistrate started at Harm 1 A and that the aggravating / mitigating factors have cancelled out.

The Government created this offence to put more people in prison. It worked.

Anyone that thinks an EAPC is in any way quick is a very slow rider themselves. These tales people trot out of buying a legal ebike and suddenly burning other riders off all over the shop are utter guff.

I do generally catch your general person on a mountain bike pooteling along, especially up slight hills or into a decent head wind

but proper road bikes are about the same speed as an EPAC - add a decent rider and they are much faster

Indeed. Everyone knows old people do not possess such a strong graviational attraction.

Is that why they need sticks and such like - to hold them to the planet?

Bristolian

You might want to get your facts straight. The police neither write nor publish Roadcraft. It is, most assuredly, not "their" driving manual.

None of the forces I served in use it as either a training or reference document.
Published in the UK by The Stationary Office.
IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Published in the UK by The Stationary Office.
View attachment 717764

View attachment 717765

None of whom are "the police".

The NPCC are a company limited by guarantee, and about a half of them aren't even police officers. Lord knows who the others think they are.

I've served in two different forces and worked for extended periods with two others, and none of them use this tome. Get over it.

Last edited:

Polecat

I'd like to add a comment here if I may: I, and no doubt everyone else who manages to ride without being knocked off by a vehicle, ride defensively. That being the case, is there some degree of responsibility that could be reasonably laid at the door of the cyclist in this case? Riding - or falling - down an incline heading in the direction of an intersection at some 28 MPH with the possibility of a car either being at the intersection or might approach the intersection seems to be irresponsible. I always make eye contact with drivers, I always slow at intersections unless I have a wide view of the area as I near, and I am always ready to apply the brakes - just in case - at that speed. Clearly the driver was at fault, but it is hard to argue the case of a lack of culpability from a coffin. In short, the woman should have been paying attention and expecting sudden changing road and traffic conditions.

Top Bottom