Is this the most dangerous road in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

Hehehe, I recall on a recent mini tour to Paris I filtered into a bus stop to get past some standstill traffic, smug as usual, and then participated in a forward-sideways roll over the bars and off the bike as I went into the same high curb that always alomost catches me out but this time did. Was funny at such a low speed but wouldn't be so over 15.

hhgolfer

Regular
I had an accident here yesterday at about 5:45pm. The road was busy, and it was getting dark. It was my first time cycling down Great Dover Street. The road is marked as red route, and parking restrictions apply to 7pm. There were no vehicles parked and this is a section of the road which is meant to be used by traffic at that time. So I moved across to let cars behind me get past. (Isn't that part of the rationale for red routes ?). Instead I hit this unexpected change of level in the road at an angle. I took a tumble and luckily wasn't hit by the car behind me. My right knee got the worst of it. Injuries could have been a lot worse, and possibly fatal.

A road surface is meant to be free of significant irregularities. Kerbs belong at the side of the road, not in the road!
If the recent 'adjustments' with moving the centre line were logical, TFL should have also put double red lines down the side of this shoulder to mark this as the kerb and the edge of the carriageway. Without marking the edge of the carriageway appropriately in this way, this section of road appears to be two lanes wide going west, inviting unwary cyclists to move across into the inside lane at busy times - just as I did.

Double red lines running alongside this inner stealth kerb is a quick and easy fix, and could prevent a fatal accident by proper marking of the kerb. Alternatively, if current road markings are correct and TFL want to have this as a widened section of road, this should be properly smooth and level in accordance with road standards - which this is not.

I completely agree with the comments of Dannz following his accident on Great Dover Street on 21st October 2016. I note the council have since painted a solid white line on the road which runs the length of the layby (see picture below). This is helpful and should help to prevent future accidents. Is this an acceptance by the Council that this section of the road has been a danger to cyclists? I wonder why the Council did not add this solid white marking at the time they adjusted the centre markings on the road as advised in jonny jeez's post of 19th February 2016. If this had of been done then it may have prevented both Dannz's accident and my accident which I posted about on the 23rd August 2016. To fully remedy the problem the raised curb needs to be removed and the road/ layby resurfaced to leave an even surface and thus eliminate the hazzard. I understood from jonny's posting of 19th February 2016 that this work was in the pipeline!

IMG-20170626-WA0008.jpg

Lonestar

Veteran
Nobody commenting that there’s no dropped kerb so those vehicles shouldn’t have crossed the pavement to park ....

Not too keen on dropped kerbs.Went ar53 over front wheel on one a few years ago when yet another pedestrian was dithering yet again.

Then again probably useful on the CS 3 when there is a suicidal cyclist coming the other way.

I use very little of the CS 2 and the Mile End Road (a road I cycle commuted on for twenty five years) now so well done to all concerned for farking it up.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
Not too keen on dropped kerbs.Went ar53 over front wheel on one a few years ago when yet another pedestrian was dithering yet again.

Then again probably useful on the CS 3 when there is a suicidal cyclist coming the other way.

I use very little of the CS 2 and the Mile End Road (a road I cycle commuted on for twenty five years) now so well done to all concerned for farking it up.

oooh you cant say that . the thought police won't like it ( NOT the Moderators - to clarify ) segregation is the way apparently .

it really worked this morning at junction of White Horse lane , where if it hadn't been in place I would have been in primary and not got left hooked . because the van wouldn't have been where it was.

in reducing one risk, creating a greter risk means a failure in the reduction of that risk .....

Top Bottom