Is this the most dangerous road in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Let me know if you need a pm with the details of the rider who came a cropper, I've subsequently strava end up with him.
Ok, will do. Mind, I've linked to this thread so they should get a good idea of what the state of the road is and what the hazard is.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
it is pretty moronic bit of design - presumably specified by a (loosley speaking) "highway engineer".

Mind you, one of the worse things I've seen are drain covers with grooves running parallel to the kerb. This was in Cardiff near the castle albeit 40 years ago. I'd guess they are still there.

Lonestar

Veteran
4grnsw.jpg

Hope you don't mind me posting this here but I now have bad problems with this junction on the opposite side (Coming up from Aldgate East) but with the same basics.Three times in less than ten commutes cars have mistaken some green signal from somewhere to do a left when the proceed is on the cyclist traffic light as shown here.Car crosses from the left hand car turn lane regularly misreading the lights.This is at Bethnal Green.(This is a mirror of the other side)

Any advice gratefully received.I know im experienced but this one has me baffled.(Thinking now,stop even more far advanced rather than vulnerable on the line position?)

Lonestar

Veteran
Proceed with caution when you have the green cyclist light. Isn't that what's meant to happen anyway?

Yeah,while the car from the left disregards the lights.They don't actually know what they've done wrong.Thanks anyway.i just wonder how many cyclists are going to get caught out by this little trick.

I think the answer is stop and wait till they've finished their cock-up.Ha.Another option is use the car lane.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yeah,while the car from the left disregards the lights.They don't actually know what they've done wrong.Thanks anyway.i just wonder how many cyclists are going to get caught out by this little trick.

I think the answer is stop and wait till they've finished their cock-up.Ha.Another option is use the car lane.
These are the things everyone wanted "cos the Dutch have them" and "of course our cycling culture will change to match the Dutch one" . Well frankly our culture won't change without re-education so let's stop ponsing around with badly thought out infrastructure and re-educate everyone, cyclists included, into how to share a simply designed road space effectively

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just be patient,you mean.:okay:
No I mean stop wasting money on stuff like in your picture and use that money to do something meaningful. What have a. cyclists gained; b. motorists gained and c. the taxpayer gained by what has been experienced by yourself at the junction? Anything other than a complete and utter waste of money. While organisations such as LCC keep harping on about "isn't Holland wonderful" we'll end up with more of this tosh which does nothing to increase safety on the roads.

SouthwarkLCC

Ullo - Southwark Coordinator 'ere - in our defence can we say that we complained to TFL when this was done circa 6 years ago - this is part of the TLRN of course- complaint by the late Barry Mason - with no effect

See err http://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/great-dover-street-kerb-your-enthusiasm/

Raised this on our road works ride with TFL yesterday (Thursday) who say this is up for further change as area is needed for stacking trucks re works at London bridge etc and we suggested a bit of work with an angle grinder would not go amiss

SouthwarkLCC

Ah - an update .....“We have just been instructed to look at part of Great Dover Street of the feasibility of improvements for cyclists between the Trinity Street and Black Horse Court junctions. I don’t yet have any timescales for this, and only received this last Friday. As soon as we have more information we will let you know.”

subaqua

What’s the point
These are the things everyone wanted "cos the Dutch have them" and "of course our cycling culture will change to match the Dutch one" . Well frankly our culture won't change without re-education so let's stop ponsing around with badly thought out infrastructure and re-educate everyone, cyclists included, into how to share a simply designed road space effectively
i didn't want it , but the segregationists did. Yes LCC I am looking at you lot . nearly got wiped out last week on the east bound heading to Stratford when some dipper in a car didn't read the lights properly.

lesson learnt . I will use the straight ahead lane and have a witty retort ready for the drivers who say i should "Use your own fecking lane " ,

well done LCC your stunning whinging made my journey LESS safe and more stressful than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom