Is this the most dangerous road in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Road_zpsmf2xfbrf.jpg

Edit.
****UPDATE LATER ON IN THIS THREAD****

Ok, so maybe not dangerous in the sense that people have been seriously hurt or injured riding here.

But, if we measure danger as the frequency of crashes, then this road has to be way up there.

In the last 12 months, I have thankfully seen very few crashes. However, on this section of Road in London I have witnessed 5 cyclists crashing and two motorcyclists…I have also had the closest thing to a fall on my own motorcycle.

Today, I met a new cyclist who suffered the 6th fall that I have witnessed on this road. His fall sent him flying to the kerb (at 20-25MPH) hitting the side of his head on the angle of the kerbstone resulting in a huge dent in his lid…(helmet naysayers behold!)… damage to the bike was minimal (although real,) tights were shredded and pride was intact. It could have been a really nasty fall that could also have ended in a hospitalised rider…or worse.

So, can you see the reason why this dull section of road is a potential Killer?

Last edited:
U

User6179

Is that a raised kerb ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I used to go along there every day before taking a left at the cycle path at the pub. Never really had any issues but I'm not sure if that little ridge was there then

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep, the dotted line on the left highlights a kerbstone that is raised about an inch and a half. As you can see from the car parked on the left in the distance, this is a lay-by and as such, pops in and out, encouraging riders to deviate from the main road and drop into it.

Which they all do

Once.

martint235

Dog on a bike
To be fair it's not exactly hidden and cyclists shouldn't really be leaving the carriageway to go into the parking bays.

Could the reason for the crashes be the frequency it's used? If it's 5 times more popular than the next stretch it may have 5 tines more accidents. Or is there a very cycle friendly pub round the corner that does discount for Lycra hence well oiled cyclist's stacking it every day?
My own hope is thst @ClichéGuevara is correct and there is a hidden sniper on the grassy knoll.

To be fair it's not exactly hidden and cyclists shouldn't really be leaving the carriageway to go into the parking bays.
No but I bet you enough cars pass too close because the drivers think the cyclist should in the parking lane making the cyclist pull left to avoid a close pass/collision and hitting the kerb whilst doing so.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No but I bet you enough cars pass too close because the drivers think the cyclist should in the parking lane making the cyclist pull left to avoid a close pass/collision and hitting the kerb whilst doing so.

A bit of this but mostly that the fact that the kerbstone that is raised is really hard to spot. You are riding above it , sort of looking down on it and focussing on traffic and hazards, you don't expect the dotted line that divides the layby from the road to have a raised kerb. and as a result, if you move to close to it, you suffer a glancing clash that stops you being able to counter steer...and over you go.

I am a pretty experience rider (bikes and motorcycles) and I fell for it (literally) the first time I encountered it, I only just managed to stay upright, which was more due to the fact that the road happened to be empty and I could wobble about to gain my balance. Pinched my tyre good and proper and took me totally unaware.

Its really nasty and totally unnecessary.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
To be fair it's not exactly hidden.
It is though. Its really well hidden and in the dark is all but invisible. the kerbstone is clear but the fact that it is raised is not. also the layby issue is a bit misleading. at one point, this actually looks like a bus lane or hard shoulder...its huge.

Also, you don't need to be entering it, I don't think anyone successfully does, just touching it without realising will have you off the bike in good time
Publication1_zpsw6pamf7z.jpg

Top Bottom