Is this the UK's most dangerous zebra crossing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
you have to ask why the pedestrian in clip one doesn't actually look to see if any traffic is approaching from their left

Yes, I don't step off the kerb until I'm satisfied the driver has seen me, and don't get in front of them until I'm satisfied they're stopping.

On one occasion I saw a car coming from the right stop for me, and the traffic on the far side of the road was all a statioary queue anyway. Luckily I realised the car had stopped for a police car racing up the wrong side of the road behind me with no siren on, and not for me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think they must have the UKs most stupid people in this town. Both pedestrians and drivers. No doubt they all think they did nothing wrong.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you suggesting the pedestrians did?
The pedestrians have committed the grand sin of not deferring to criminal motorists. It isn't a crime but many police seem to think it should be. Norwich police recently forcibly moved Lucy Hall and her crutches out of the way of motorists illegally driving through a pedestrian+cycle zone, then put out a factually incorrect statement blaming the council for only putting four sets of signs on the approach! The council have put up three more signs and Norwich Cycling Campaign rebutted the police statement.

icowden

Veteran
While I agree that the car drivers are seriously at fault, that zebra is very badly placed IMO, though if they moved it, I suspect people would still attempt to cross where it was.

I say it is badly placed because there are two side roads, one from each side, which are so close that each has the zigzags from the crossing going the whole way across the junction. It also, from streetview, appears to be at the bottom of a hill in BOTH directions.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.788...4!1sdLFLYztyE2jW70q7trdBVw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It might be at the bottom of a hill in both directions but there is lots of road before you get to the crossing, so no good reason why these drivers didn't see people crossing.

Alex321

Veteran
It might be at the bottom of a hill in both directions but there is lots of road before you get to the crossing, so no good reason why these drivers didn't see people crossing.

Absolutely. As said in the first few words of my post - the drivers were seriously at fault.

mustang1

Guru
WTF are those drivers thinking ?

I can't see anything wrong with the crossing at all

This.

The drivers are going too fast. When there is a junction approaching, the driver isn't meant to keep the speed up to stop any other driver joining the main road, they are supposed to slow down.

And then, there's a zebra crossing so they've got to slow right down. If there are pedestrians anywhere near the zebra, you have to slow down in case the pedestrian decides to cross the road.

Those drivers are way out of line.

Edit: fixed typos

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This.

The drivers are going too fast. When there is a junction approaching, the driver isn't meant to keep the speed up to stop any other driver joining the main road, they are supposed to slow down.

And then, there's a zebra crossing so they've got slow right down. If there are pedestrians anywhere near the zebra, you have to slow down in case the pedestrian decides t ok cross the road.

Those drivers are way out of line.

Quite - and the guy mowing down someone already crossing is horrific.

Slick

Guru
I'd argue "we" are if we're riding along the pavement and across a zebra crossing..

I do hope from the font in that video I've not just clicked on Daily Fail content - does anyone have any sanitising gel?

I'd argue we aren't, and I don't believe we all have to ve perfect to take that position. :okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd argue we aren't, and I don't believe we all have to ve perfect to take that position. :okay:

Looks like we're having an argument, then :tongue:

Drivers in the clips are clearly bellends, however if they can't manage to avoid slow-moving legit crossing traffic, they're really going to struggle with fast moving stuff that shouldn't be there. In summary, I'm not involved and everyone who is seems to be a knobber, so I'm happy to sit back and let nature take its course 👍

Slick

Guru
Looks like we're having an argument, then :tongue:

Drivers in the clips are clearly bellends, however if they can't manage to avoid slow-moving legit crossing traffic, they're really going to struggle with fast moving stuff that shouldn't be there. In summary, I'm not involved and everyone who is seems to be a knobber, so I'm happy to sit back and let nature take its course 👍

Not much of an argument when we broadly agree, but what did the poor pedestrian do to deserve your scorn?

Top Bottom