Is this the UK's most dangerous zebra crossing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Could be parly a location issue; immediately to the left of the video there is a road joining from the direction of the camera. So there is the possibility of cars turning right into that road obstructing views of the crossing or cars turning right out of it flooring it as I mentioned earlier. Obviously no excuse for the rediculous driving but could be a contributing cause. Then there is the fact that laughingly it is part of the "ring road" which probably gives some less intelligent drivers a concept of having a greater right of way.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why are most people excusing the drivers & blaming the layout, I simply do not understand where your mindset is at, there are hundreds if not thousands of almost identical layouts around the country.

The DRIVERS are not paying enough attention, I cannot see any other conclusion!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I see no issue with the placement of the crossing, it's the drivers which are at fault 100%, the cyclists should not be using them, but that does not give the drivers that right to simply ignore that fact.
Well, "the cyclists should not be using them" but actually, cycling on the crossing (if no pedestrians are there) is the part where they're not committing an offence! Unlike when they're cycling on the pavements linked by the crossing.

Jameshow

Veteran
Could be parly a location issue; immediately to the left of the video there is a road joining from the direction of the camera. So there is the possibility of cars turning right into that road obstructing views of the crossing or cars turning right out of it flooring it as I mentioned earlier. Obviously no excuse for the rediculous driving but could be a contributing cause. Then there is the fact that laughingly it is part of the "ring road" which probably gives some less intelligent drivers a concept of having a greater right of way.

Do any drivers in Bradford have intelligence?!🤣🤣🤣

notmyrealnamebutclose

If you knock someone down on any kind of z crossing regardless of any mitigating circumstances you should
automatically be banned, no if's & but's banned from driving min 6 months dependant on mitigating circumstances

DRM

Guru
Do any drivers in Bradford have intelligence?!🤣🤣🤣

I think you know the answer to that, did anyone see the Police Interceptors episode where a young lad shot off in a white Nissan hatchback after the police indicated to pull over, he took a right turn too fast, hit a shop and a parked car, when the police caught him it turned out it was his car, it was taxed, it was insured and had an mot, he had no idea why he had fled, on inspection there was no reason to go off like a scalded cat, but yet he tried to get away, most bizarre, it just seems to be a strange car culture there, there are signs up all over saying that there are cameras up to catch anti social driving

Alex321

Veteran
Yes it is simple, if they are incapable of yielding to people crossing on a pedestrian crossing they shouldn't have a license

How, exactly does that "simple" thing solve the issue?

It does virtually nothing to stop the next occurrence.

I'm sure that any of 5hose drivers who were identified will have been punished according to the law. But those incidents have continued happening.

I really don't understand why you think the answer is "simpke".

Alex321

Veteran
I see no issue with the placement of the crossing, it's the drivers which are at fault 100%, the cyclists should not be using them, but that does not give the drivers that right to simply ignore that fact.

You see no issue, I don't know for sure what the issue is, or whether it is a combination of factors, but there obviously IS an issue.

Most zebra crossings do not have that many incidents of people being hit.

Alex321

Veteran
Why are most people excusing the drivers & blaming the layout,
Nobody is excusing the drivers.

I have said more than once that the drivers are clearly seriously at fault.

I simply do not understand where your mindset is at, there are hundreds if not thousands of almost identical layouts around the country.

The DRIVERS are not paying enough attention, I cannot see any other conclusion!
But the question then is WHY?

There must be a reason why so many drivers are driving so badly there compared with other sites.

No question at all, the drivers are wrong, and should be punished to the full extent of the law (and nobody has suggested otherwise). BUT, in addition to that, investigation is need into why that particular crossing has so many incidents, and action should be taken to remedy that.

This is NOT excusing the drivers, it is attempting to save people using the crossing from being injured or killed by bad drivers.

Alex321

Veteran
If you knock someone down on any kind of z crossing regardless of any mitigating circumstances you should
automatically be banned, no if's & but's banned from driving min 6 months dependant on mitigating circumstances

That will need a law change of course, and would also not be reasonably practical, since it would mean you would have to stop if there was anybody in a position where they COULD run out in front of you, regardless of whether it looked likely they were heading for the crossing.

At the moment the law only requires you to give way to people already on the crossing or clearly waiting or about to use it.

classic33

Leg End Member
You see no issue, I don't know for sure what the issue is, or whether it is a combination of factors, but there obviously IS an issue.

Most zebra crossings do not have that many incidents of people being hit.
The local council removed one from a road in the town centre due to the high accident rate, which included at least one death. I was hit walking across it, resulting in a trip to A&E. S/light damage to the legs.

Location was right outside the main council offices. And the only crossing on that section of road. Only when it was removed did they realise they needed a crossing. Light controlled crossing placed 100 yards back down the road replaced it.

The crossing isn't at fault, it's driver behaviour. They don't want to slow down, much less have to stop.

classic33

Leg End Member
It isn't an either/or choice.

The drivers are certainly at fault. But that doesn't mean the crossing is perfectly OK.
I never said it was. And an inanimate can't make that either/or choice.

Ask yourself why that crossing is any different. It's the same markings as any other similar crossing.

Alex321

Veteran
I never said it was.
You certainly appeared to do so, by saying "The crossing isn't at fault, it's driver behaviour".
And an inanimate can't make that either/or choice.

Ask yourself why that crossing is any different. It's the same markings as any other similar crossing.

As I said above, I don't know just what the issue is here. But there clearly is one. The fact it has the same marking is pretty well irrelevant. Something about the approaches, or the layout of the junctions is resulting in more bad driving there than normal.

This part of the discussion all stems from Phaeton saying investigating is a waste of time, which I disagreed with. For future safety, they can't just say it is bad drivers and let it keep happening.

They need to investigate to find out why so many drivers are driving badly there, then take whatever measures are reasonable to reduce that.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think it's because you have peds coming from behind the building into the crossing and the drivers don't have enough time / awareness to stop.

Top Bottom